(US/ny) The Omnivore Vegan: "No Meat"

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 9, 2013
      [*Huffington Post]

      This essay is the first part in a series about veganism, humane farming,
      and animal agriculture in the United States.
      When most people think of a farm, it's fresh eggs and produce in the
      morning, milking cows, and, sometimes, sending animals to slaughter. Not so
      if you're an intern at Farm Sanctuary, a vegan-run haven where rescued
      animals live out their days free from the possibility that a human would
      eat their eggs or even shear their wool for a warm winter sweater.

      Located in Watkins Glen, NY, Farm Sanctuary has an almost perfect creation
      story. Founders Gene Baur and his then-wife Lorrie Houston raised initial
      funds by selling vegetarian hot dogs from the back of a VW bus outside
      Grateful Dead concerts. They rescued their first animal during a trip to
      the Lancaster stockyard in Pennsylvania in 1986. Hilda the sheep was found
      near-death on a downer pile, where animals too weak to stand or be sold at
      auction are left to die.
      In my real-world life in Brooklyn, I live in an apartment and have not just
      one but three roommates. A vegetarian couple is in the first room, a vegan
      on the other side, leaving me -- the only omnivore -- stuck in the middle.
      If 3.2 percent of Americans are vegetarian, this set up is a far cry from
      the norm.
      ... For me, subtle signs like a panhandle wrapped in scotch tape reading,
      "NO MEAT!!" made it hard to forget. ...
      When Becky, the intern coordinator, picked me up for the hour-long ride to
      Watkins Glen, she asked me, "How long have you been vegan?"

      I paused for a moment, thinking of the empty sausage wrapper I'd just
      thrown in the trash, "Well," I said, "I am now."

      Part Two: "A Chicken in Every Pot"
      *
      http://www.huffingtonpost.com/food-politic/farm-sanctuary_b_3014366.html

      SEE ALSO:
      The Omnivore Vegan: "No Meat"
      The Accidental Vegetarian
      Chipotle test-marketing vegetarian menu 'Sofritas' in Sacramento area
      Mike Tyson, Boxing's Former World Heavyweight Champion, Talks About His
      Vegan Diet (VIDEO)
      Vegan diet attracting more people, according to Birmingham based society