Bill Gates on future of meat consumption

  • Alex@FARM
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 22, 2013
      */_Gates Notes_/

      Bill Gates: Food Is Ripe for Innovation*
      /Bill Gates is the co-founder and Chairman of Microsoft and co-chair of
      the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. He also posts updated information
      and videos about the future of food on /

      The global population is on track to reach 9 billion by 2050. What are
      all those people going to eat? With billions of people adding more
      animal protein to their diets � meat consumption is expected to double
      by 2050 � it seems clear that arable land for raising livestock won�t be
      able to keep up.

      That's one reason why I'm excited about innovations taking place now in
      food production, which especially interests me as someone who worries
      about the poor getting enough to eat.

      There's quite a lot of interesting physics, chemistry and biology
      involved in how food tastes, how cooking changes its taste, and why we
      like some tastes and not others.

      My friend Nathan Myrhvold took a deep dive into the science and
      technology of cooking with his huge book, /Modernist Cuisine/. Nathan is
      great at explaining things like why we like meat so much, and why
      cream-based sauces are so good. Which leads to interesting questions,
      like could we create those tastes in ways that are less expensive, less
      fattening and less work?

      I've gotten to learn about several new food companies that are creating
      plant-based alternatives to meat through some monetary investments I've
      made with Khosla Ventures and Kleiner Perkins. Their products are at
      least as healthy as meat and are produced more sustainably.

      But what makes them really interesting is their taste. Food scientists
      are now creating meat alternatives that truly taste like � and have the
      same "mouth feel" � as their nature-made counterparts (see two recipes
      below, for example).

      Flavor and texture have been the biggest hurdles for most people in
      adopting meat alternatives. But companies like Beyond Meat, Hampton
      Creek Foods and Lyrical are doing some amazing things. Their actual
      recipes are secret, but the science is straightforward. By using
      pressure and precisely heating and cooling oils and plant proteins (like
      powdered soybeans and vegetable fiber), you can achieve the perfect
      flavor and texture of meat or eggs.

      I tasted Beyond Meat�s chicken alternative, for example, and honestly
      couldn�t tell it from real chicken. Beyond Eggs, an egg alternative
      from Hampton Creek Foods, does away with the high cholesterol content of
      real eggs. Lyrical has drastically reduced fat in its non-dairy cheeses.
      Even _things like salt are getting a makeover_
      <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaiNPFxa6-I>: Nu-Tek has found a way
      to make potassium chloride taste like salt (and nothing but salt) with
      only a fraction of the sodium.

      All this innovation could be great news for people concerned about
      health problems related to overconsumption of fat, salt and cholesterol.
      It's important too in light of the environmental impacts of
      large-scale meat and dairy production, with livestock estimated to
      produce nearly _51% of the world�s greenhouse gases_

      But the new, future food is crucial for the developing world, where
      people often do not get enough protein. This is partly due to heavy
      reliance on animals as the primary source. However, that doesn't have
      to be the case. There's plenty of protein and necessary amino acids in
      plants, including the world's four major commodity crops � rice, maize,
      wheat and soy.

      The problem is that instead of feeding these crops to people, we're
      feeding most of them to livestock. And so we're caught in an
      inefficient protein-delivery system. For every 10 kilograms of grain we
      feed cattle, we get _1 kilogram of beef in return_
      <http://www.ewg.org/>. The calorie kick-back is just too low to feed a
      growing world population.

      So we need to find new ways to deliver protein and calories to everyone.

      Our approach to food hasn't changed much over the last 100 years. It's
      ripe for reinvention. We need to look for new ways to raise nutrition
      in the poor world while shifting some of our choices in the wealthy world.

      Fortunately, there are thousands of plant proteins in the world, and
      many of them have yet to be explored for use in the production of meat
      alternatives. Current investigations of the world�s vast array of plant
      proteins could fundamentally reshape our food supply for the better.

      I'm hopeful that we can begin to meet the demand for a protein-rich diet
      in a new way. We're just at the beginning of enormous innovation in
      this space.