Turkey Abuse Investigation Moves Forward

  • UPC News
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 8, 2013
      United Poultry Concerns - http://www.UPC-online.org/

      Turkey Abuse Investigation Moves Forward

      University of Kansas Beta Theta Pi Fraternity Can No Longer Have Live Animals at
      Its Events

      KU Fraternity Chapter Accused of Abusing Turkey Punished by National
      Headquarters

      LAWRENCE, Kan. (AP) — Beta Theta Pi fraternity's national spokesman says its
      University of Kansas chapter can no longer allow live animals at its events
      after a turkey was abused and later killed at a December function. [1]The
      Lawrence Journal-World reports the Kansas chapter also must host a service
      project benefiting an animal-related organization and will host an animal-rights
      speaker.* The national Beta Theta Pi organization has hired a private
      investigator to look into the Kansas case, but the inquiry has not yet
      concluded. The organization says the turkey incident happened during a formal
      dinner known as the "Turkey Pull," which has been going on at the fraternity for
      more than 100 years. The fraternity is currently under suspension by the
      national group, and new guidelines require the expulsion of any member convicted
      of animal abuse. – Kansas Public Radio, March 7, 2013

      United Poultry Concerns has reported on this Dec. 14, 2012 animal cruelty
      episode since December , and we have written to the Douglas County District
      Attorney, The University of Kansas Chancellor, the KU chapter of Beta Theta Pi,
      and the Beta Theta Pi national office in Ohio. We have successfully urged our
      members and supporters to write strong letters, for which we thank you!

      For Background and Contact Information, see
      Students Tortured a Turkey to Death at a Fraternity Drinking Party
      http://www.upc-online.org/pp/spring2013/beta_theta_pi.html

      Below are the links to UPC's most recent correspondences posted on our Website
      under What's New. We urge people to continue pressing the District Attorney to
      prosecute the fraternity members who intentionally abused and killed the
      defenseless turkey for fun at the fraternity party. They violated Kansas Cruelty
      to Animals Statute 21-4310 which defines Cruelty to Animals as "Intentionally
      killing, injuring, maiming, torturing or mutilating any animal."

      To read the correspondences, click on:

      UPC's Follow-up Letters Regarding the Beta Theta Pi Turkey Abuse Episode on
      December 14, 2012 at The University of Kansas in Lawrence, KS 22 February 2013
      http://www.upc-online.org/entertainment/130222beta_theta_pi_follow-up.html

      Justin Warren, Director of Beta Theta Pi Chapter Operations, on Steps Taken
      Thus Far to Prevent Future Animal Abuse Episodes 1 March 2013
      http://www.upc-online.org/entertainment/130301beta_theta_pi_steps_taken.html

      * United Poultry Concerns President Karen Davis has offered to be the
      animal-rights speaker at the Beta Theta Pi service project event hosted by the
      KU Chapter.

      http://www.UPC-online.org/ http://www.twitter.com/upcnews
      http://www.facebook.com/UnitedPoultryConcerns

      View this article online: