(HK) Fauja Singh, 101-year-old vegetarian marathoner, runs last race

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 24, 2013
      Fauja Singh, a 101-year-old marathoner, ran his last competitive race
      in Hong Kong Feb. 24, putting an end to an illustrious running career
      that began when he was 89 years old.
      The 5-foot-8, 117-pound Singh is a lifelong vegetarian who attributes
      his longevity and good health to a portion-controlled, plant-based
      diet.

      "In the Sikh religion, we eat to live, not live to eat," Fauja told
      PETA in 2011. "Sikhism does not permit followers to eat any animal who
      has suffered.

      "You need a balanced and wholesome diet. It doesn’t matter how nice to
      look at or sweet food is. If your body can’t digest it, why eat it? In
      many parts of the world, people are dying because of starvation, while
      others are dying because of overeating. My solution is just to eat
      what my body needs."

      http://www.examiner.com/article/fauja-singh-101-year-old-vegetarian-marathoner-runs-last-race