Chickens Revisited by Jon Katz, Thanks to Our Blitz

  • UPC News
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 21, 2013
      United Poultry Concerns - http://www.UPC-online.org/

      Chickens Revisited by Jon Katz, Thanks to Our Blitz

      "So I take the point from the friends of the chicken, and there are many." – Jon
      Katz

      Chickens On The Rocker
      (Photo: http://www.bedlamfarm.com/2013/02/21/chickens-on-the-rocker/)
      Chickens On The Chair. Strut and the hens are making themselves at home.
      They chased Minnie out of the rocking chair and took up position to catch some sun.

      Earlier this month in "Chicken Visit," Jon Katz of Bedlam Farm Journal belittled
      chickens by calling them "dumber" than those who prey on them. On February 7,
      we urged people with chicken companions to send him a thoughtful message.
      http://www.upc-online.org/alerts/130207blogger_denigrates_chickens.html

      Katz heard from MANY THOUGHTFUL PEOPLE. In "Defending the Intelligence of
      Chickens" on February 16, he acknowledged the emails he received challenging his
      denigration of chickens.

      "It appears I ruffled the feathers of chicken lovers when I wrote recently –
      actually many times – that the chickens I know are not smart – "dumb" was the
      word I used. I wrote that in my life with chickens (many chickens for more than
      a decade) I observed that everything in the world wants to eat them, and
      chickens are dumber than all of them.

      "I got a good number of polite but clearly upset and offended admirers of
      chickens pointing out that chickens are not dumb and asking that I reconsider my
      repeated descriptions of them as not being bright. I got a number of eloquent
      and impassioned stories about the intelligence and loyalty of chickens and in
      great and illustrated detail. It is touching for me to know how many people love
      chickens, and follow their behavior closely."

      To read Katz's entire blog, click on:
      http://www.bedlamfarm.com/2013/02/16/defending-the-intelligence-of-chickens/

      United Poultry Concerns is grateful to everyone who took the time to speak up
      for chickens to Jon Katz. Several of you shared your wonderful messages with us.
      We are truly thankful for your voices swelling the chorus of praises and love
      for chickens.

      http://www.UPC-online.org/ http://www.twitter.com/upcnews
      http://www.facebook.com/UnitedPoultryConcerns

      View this article online: