(US/pa) V For Veg: Vegans don't have to cut cheese

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 21, 2013
      "OH, MY GOD, I couldn't live without cheese!"

      Ever heard those words, or maybe uttered them yourself?

      I sure have. Back when I, a longtime vegetarian, decided to go vegan,
      the prospect of life without cheese yawned as a desolate, ascetic slog
      of eternity without such rich, gooey gustatory pleasure. What a martyr
      to cross the line into that bleak, barren world!

      A couple of dairy-free months later, I was already puzzling at such
      grandiosity. Cheese? Really? I didn't know then how casomorphins, a
      dairy component that's concentrated in cheese, act as opioids - that
      is, they confer a mild but habit-forming euphoria.

      I wound up expanding my palate to other food combinations, never
      missing cheese, never trying to replace it or replicate its dishes.
      Good thing, too, because in those days vegan cheese was more of an
      earnest science-fair project than an object of desire.

      Now, though, Daiya, Tofutti and other brands have brought credible
      vegan cheese to the marketplace and helped drive it forward. Formerly
      packing animal-based casein, Galaxy Foods now has a whole line of
      vegan shredded cheeses you can get at the Acme.

      http://www.philly.com/philly/food/health/vforveg/20130221_V_For_Veg__Vegans_don_t_have_to_cut_cheese.html