Animal Fighting Spectator Prohibition Act: Urge Your Member of Congress to Support H.R. 366!

  • UPC News
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 31, 2013
      United Poultry Concerns - http://www.UPC-online.org/

      Animal Fighting Spectator Prohibition Act:
      Urge Your Member of Congress to Support H.R. 366!

      The Animal Fighting Spectator Prohibition Act (U.S. House of
      Representatives/H.R. 366) will make it a crime to attend an organized animal
      fight and increase the penalties for bringing a minor (a person under 18) to a
      cockfight, dogfight, or any other staged animal fight.

      On December 4, 2012, the U.S. Senate passed S. 1947 but the House companion bill
      failed. It has been reintroduced in 2013 as H.R. 366.

      Please contact your U.S. House Representative and urge him or her to cosponsor
      and support H.R. 366, the Animal Fighting Spectator Prohibition Act of 2013.

      The Honorable _____________
      United States House of Representatives
      Washington, DC 20515

      Dear Representative ______________:

      As a member of your congressional district, I am writing to urge you please to
      cosponsor and support the Animal Fighting Spectator Prohibition Act, H.R. 366.
      This legislation will make it a crime to attend an organized animal fight and
      increase penalties for bringing a child to a cockfight, dogfight, or any other
      staged animal fight. The Animal Fighting Spectator Prohibition Act will
      strengthen federal-level penalties for participation in animal fighting
      activities. Please support H.R. 366 and advise me of your decision. Thank you
      very much for your attention. I look forward to hearing from you.

      Sincerely,

      Your name, mailing address/zipcode & email address & phone number

      To learn the name of your U.S. House Representative, call the Capital
      Switchboard at 202-224-3121. Or visit http://www.house.gov/. Where it says Find
      Your
      Representative, enter your zipcode and the information you need to contact your
      U.S. Representative will pop up.

      Here is UPC's letter to U.S. House Rep. E. Scott Rigell by email and regular mail:

      January 31, 2013

      The Honorable E. Scott Rigell
      United States House of Representatives
      Washington, DC 20515
      http://rigell.house.gov/contact/

      Dear Representative Rigell:

      I am writing to you as a member of your congressional district on the Eastern
      Shore to urge you to support H.R. 366, the Animal Fighting Spectator Prohibition
      Act of 2013.

      H.R. 2492, which as Senate companion bill S. 1947 passed the Senate December 4,
      2012, failed in the House in 2012. It is time to pass this legislation. Please
      support H.R. 366 and join me as a cosponsor.

      H.R. 366 makes it a crime to attend an organized animal fight or to bring a
      person under 18 years old to a cockfight or dogfight.

      As you may recall, in 2008, the Commonwealth of Virginia amended the Code of
      Virginia Section 3.1-796.124 to strengthen the state's animal fighting law and
      penalties for engaging in organized animal fights, including cockfights, for
      amusement, sport, or financial gain.

      United States citizens and Virginia residents overwhelmingly oppose staged
      animal fights and support legislation prohibiting and penalizing participation
      in these activities in which animal cruelty, drug trafficking, illegal gambling,
      public corruption and murder are involved.

      In 2007, the U.S. Congress passed legislation providing felony-level penalties
      for interstate and foreign animal fighting activities and outlawing commerce in
      cockfighting weapons.

      H.R. 366, the Animal Fighting Spectator Prohibition Act, will strengthen the
      federal legislation and reinforce animal fighting laws in Virginia.

      Please cosponsor and support H.R. 366. I look forward to hearing from you. Thank
      you for your attention.

      Sincerely,

      Karen Davis, PhD, President
      United Poultry Concerns
      PO Box 150
      Machipongo, VA 23405
      Phone: 757-678-7875

      [http://upc-online.org/pp/winter2011/little_rooster.jpg%5d
      Little Rooster, who died in November, 2011 after being rescued from a
      cockfighting ring and brought to UPC in 2009. How lucky we were to know him.

      To learn more about cockfighting, please visit
      http://www.upc-online.org/cockfighting/.

      http://www.UPC-online.org/ http://www.twitter.com/upcnews
      http://www.facebook.com/UnitedPoultryConcerns

      View this article online: