Rooster Feather Hair Extension Trade Dealt a Serious Blow by AVEDA!

  • UPC News
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 24, 2013
      United Poultry Concerns - http://www.UPC-online.org/

      Rooster Feather Hair Extension Trade Dealt a Serious Blow by AVEDA!

      AVEDA: "At the end, no salon in our network has the practice of using
      feathers." - Aveda President Dominique Conseil January 16, 2013 in a conference
      call with UPC about discontinuing the sale of rooster feather hair extensions in
      Aveda's spas and hair salons.

      In 2011, United Poultry Concerns launched a campaign to educate people about the
      source of rooster feather hair extensions popularized by rock star Steven Tyler
      on American Idol. Rooster feather hair extensions are extracted from thousands
      of roosters who are battery-caged and suffocated to death with carbon dioxide by
      companies that tear out their tail feathers then trash the dead birds who are
      brought into the world only so that a few feathers from each bird can be made
      into cosmetic ornaments and fly fishing lures. Entire breeding flocks of hens
      and roosters are factory-farmed strictly for these uses.

      In addition to telling people never to buy any feather products, we targeted the
      beauty care company Aveda on learning that rooster feather hair extensions were
      being sold at Aveda salons. Our campaign included three Open Letters to Aveda's
      president & CEO Dominique Conseil in VegNews magazine in 2012. Based on Aveda's
      image of an "animal-friendly brand culture" that "cares for the world we live
      in," we urged Mr. Conseil to implement a policy banning rooster feather hair
      extensions and all animal cruelty products from its retail network. Aveda's
      letter to its network, while affirming that such products "do not align with the
      Aveda Mission," diluted the message by assuring retailers that "it is not our
      place to dictate what you should or should not do."

      United Poultry Concerns countered that it is Aveda's place to dictate ethical
      policy to any retail outlet bearing or affiliated with Aveda's name and from
      which Aveda profits.

      Aveda Takes Action

      On January 16, 2013, a conference call with UPC president Karen Davis initiated
      by Aveda president Dominique Conseil and vice president of global
      communications, Shelley Simmons, brought encouraging news. Mr. Conseil said
      UPC's campaign led Aveda to tell the 150 businesses they learned were selling
      rooster feather hair extensions to stop selling them. "We told them, either you
      agree, or we don't do business with you anymore." Calling the rooster compounds
      "organized concentration camps," Mr. Conseil assured UPC that "we were prepared
      to lose 150 of our 6,000 independent businesses if necessary." To prove Aveda's
      good faith, he said that a few years ago, Aveda stopped selling boar bristle
      hair brushes due to the animal cruelty involved in the bristles. Of the rooster
      feather hair extension trade, he said: "We hope we have dealt a serious hit to
      this industry."

      What Can I Do?

      * Please thank Aveda by contacting:

      Dominique Conseil, President
      AVEDA
      4000 Pheasant Ridge Drive
      Blaine, MN 55449
      Customer Service: 1-800-328-0849
      Fax: 1-800-236-4301
      Email: Aveda@...
      Email: costrel@...

      * If you see any feather products being sold in any of Aveda's salons or spas,
      please inform Aveda. Tell Aveda what products you saw, and where. Include the
      name of the salon/spa and its physical address & location. Ask Mr. Conseil to
      contact the salon/spa and tell them to remove the feather products as per
      Aveda's No Feathers Policy. Politely advise the salon/spa of Aveda's Policy.

      * Promote compassionate fashion. Educate people about the terrible cruelty of
      feather ornaments by purchasing and distributing copies of our handout "The
      Truth about Feather Hair Extensions." 10 for $1.00. 25 for $2.50. Order from UPC
      by check or money order, or by credit card at
      http://www.upc-online.org/merchandise/.

      http://www.UPC-online.org/ http://www.twitter.com/upcnews
      http://www.facebook.com/UnitedPoultryConcerns

      View this article online