(IN) Vegetarian in Mumbai? Welcome to the meat-free neighbourhood

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 11, 2012
      NEW DELHI—Militant vegetarians in Mumbai first began keeping
      meat-eaters out of their apartment blocks a few years ago, pressuring
      residents’ associations to keep out carnivorous newcomers. Later, the
      restaurants in these neighbourhoods took meat off their menus for fear
      of offending vegetarian customers.

      Now, the movement has gone a step further with grocery stores and
      supermarkets keeping meat and eggs off the shelves. Even sandwiches,
      salads or desserts that might contain egg or meat are not stocked.

      Mumbai’s vegetarians aim to turn their neighbourhoods into vegetarian
      enclaves. In a supermarket in Malabar Hill — home to wealthy families,
      most of whom are staunchly vegetarian — none of these items is
      available.

      “My customers began complaining,” said Neeraj Gupta, who runs a small
      supermarket in Malabar Hill. “They didn’t like having to walk past
      where the eggs were kept so I decided to take everything with eggs in
      it off my shelves. I’ve got to keep my customers happy.”

      Known as India’s most cosmopolitan city, Mumbai has areas where global
      fast food joints such as Pizza Hut and McDonald’s have taken all meat
      items off their menus.

      http://www.thestar.com/news/world/article/1300420--vegetarian-in-mumbai-welcome-to-the-meat-free-neighbourhood