(US) Kathy Freston: A Vegan Diet (Hugely) Helpful Against Cancer

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 9, 2012
      [Huffington Post]

      If you're anything like me, the "C" word leaves you trembling. But
      today there is very good news to report: Research suggests you can
      improve your odds of never getting cancer and/or improve your chances
      of recovering from it. Not with a drug or surgery, although those
      methods might be quite effective. This is all about the power on your
      plate, and it's seriously powerful.

      A 2012 analysis of all the best studies done to date concluded
      vegetarians have significantly lower cancer rates. For example, the
      largest forward-looking study on diet and cancer ever performed
      concluded that "the incidence of all cancers combined is lower among
      vegetarians."

      That's good news, yes. But what if we're looking for great news? If
      vegetarians fare so much better than meat-eaters, what about vegans?
      Is that an even better way to eat? We didn't know for sure until now.

      A new study just out of Loma Linda University funded by the National
      Cancer Institute reported that vegans have lower rates of cancer than
      both meat-eaters and vegetarians. Vegan women, for example, had 34
      percent lower rates of female-specific cancers such as breast,
      cervical, and ovarian cancer. And this was compared to a group of
      healthy omnivores who ate substantially less meat than the general
      population (two servings a week or more), as well as after controlling
      for non-dietary factors such as smoking, alcohol, and a family history
      of cancer.

      http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kathy-freston/vegan-diet-cancer_b_2250052.html