(IN) Vegan is the way to go in Indian weddings

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 8, 2012
      Diet, fashion and now even weddings, everything is getting a vegan twist now.

      It's no more considered a hippy philosophy. Nor is it an alien concept
      that can be scoffed at for being 'a little too extreme'. At a time
      when biodiversity has become an international concern, going vegan is
      no more a fad. From being considered an extreme form of vegetarianism,
      today veganism has managed to blend seamlessly into mainstream
      lifestyle.

      Vegan weddings
      Preethi and Raghav, a young South Indian couple, have decided to go
      for what might just be India's "first vegan wedding". "We have been
      involved with a lot of animal rescue and welfare organisations. And
      during our time with them, we've seen the atrocities animals are put
      through to cater to the dietary needs of humans. This act itself is
      inhuman at many levels, so we decided to go vegan," says bride-to-be,
      Preethi Shankaran, who along with fiance Raghav is taking great pains
      to ensure that their wedding will be a totally vegan affair! "When
      Raghav and I decided to go for a vegan wedding, our parents were not
      too comfortable with the idea at first. Imagine a South Indian wedding
      with no payasam! But we took them to talks and workshops, and later
      they came on board," explains Preethi.
      "Veganism is not just about food and clothing alone. It's about every
      consumer item that has animal product in it," says Amita Desai,
      executive Director, Goethe-Zentrum.

      http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/life-style/relationships/man-woman/Vegan-is-the-way-to-go-in-Indian-weddings/articleshow/17534019.cms