*Canada) Alberta Meat-Packing Plant has Troubled History

  • MaryFinelli@Comcast.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 9, 2012
      Most of us don’t give much thought to exactly where the beef comes from that ends up on our barbecues and dinner plates. Or who has a hand in getting it there.

      In Canada, much of that meat passes through a huge slaughterhouse that sits on the windswept prairie next to the TransCanada Highway near the small city of Brooks in southeastern Alberta.

      That meat packing plant, known as XL Foods , slaughters a million cattle a year and is now at the centre of the largest meat recall in Canadian history after E. coli was traced to some of its products. Supermarkets and consumers across the country, as well as 30 U.S states, are being told to throw out or return roasts, steaks and ground beef rather than risk eating it.

      Suddenly a remote meat packing plant matters to a lot of people.

      But this isn’t the first time this particular plant has been in the news. It has, to say the least, a troubled history.

      more at:

      http://www.thestar.com/opinion/editorialopinion/article/1267759--alberta-meat-packing-plant-has-troubled-history