UPC and Twelve Other Organizations Appeal to the National Fire Protection Association to Uphold the Association's Action Requiring Fire Protection Systems in Farm Animal Housing Facilities

  • UPC News
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 31, 2012
      United Poultry Concerns - http://www.UPC-online.org/

      UPC & Twelve Other Organizations Appeal to the National Fire Protection
      Association to Uphold the Association's Action Requiring Fire Protection Systems
      in Farm Animal Housing Facilities

      Our Appeal with undersigned organizations is posted here:
      http://upc-online.org/nfpa_appeal/. Please contact the NFPA to express your
      support for mandatory fire protection systems in farm animal housing facilities
      by sending an email to stds_admin@....

      Karen Davis, PhD, President of United Poultry Concerns, will be speaking in
      front of the NFPA Standards Council in Massachusetts when they consider this
      matter on August 7th. Industry organizations will also be in attendance,
      including United Egg Producers, U.S. Poultry & Egg Association, and the National
      Pork Producers Council. These & other agribusiness groups oppose the NFPA's
      Amendment requiring producers to install sprinklers and smoke control systems in
      farm animal housing facilities. For example:

      "The installation and maintenance of these sprinkler systems could easily entail
      billions of dollars in costs, and these costs are not balanced by sufficient
      fire risk management benefits for the animals and the producers' operations."
      (National Pork Producers Council to NFPA, July 9)

      They prefer to let the animals and buildings burn up and collect the insurance.

      Between March and July of 2012 alone, 528,000 chickens, turkeys and pigs
      suffocated and burned to death in U.S. farm animal houses, and these are just
      the publicly reported cases.

      We are grateful to attorney David R. Simon for preparing and submitting our
      Appeal to the National Fire Protection Association – the world's leading
      advocate of fire prevention.

      To view our original alert & letter to the NFPA, go to "Agribusiness Coalition
      Opposes Fire Safety Controls in Animal Confinement Facilities"
      (http://www.upc-online.org/alerts/120719nfpa_amend_farm_animals.html) 19 July 2012

      To view our News Release, click on
      http://upc-online.org/nr/120731nfpa_animal_housing_appeal.html

      http://www.UPC-online.org/ http://www.twitter.com/upcnews