(UK) So, what is an ethical vegan?

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2012
      [The Guardian - opinion - comments at full story link]

      I have been a vegan for seven years. I prefer chocolate cakes to
      lentils, I don't spend my evenings sifting through layers of moss in
      search of nutrients, I won't eat it just because you made it and I
      don't value sea kittens above humans. Although I had already been
      vegetarian for four years, I waited until I was about to leave home to
      tell my parents I was going vegan. Mum looked at me across the dinner
      table. "You're not going to be awkward about it though, are you?"

      I went vegan for ethical, not dietary reasons. I do not think humans
      have the right to oppress or abuse other species simply because they
      are intellectually weaker. Toddlers are intellectually weak, but
      you're unlikely to find one in a casserole. To me, human rights and
      animal rights go together. Humans have a responsibility to care for
      animals and other humans because both have the ability to suffer. Both
      are capable of experiencing pleasure, fear and pain. I find
      discrimination on the grounds of species as distasteful as
      discrimination on the grounds of race or sex.
      There is not a clear divide between ethical and dietary vegans, and
      dietary vegans have certainly increased the availability of vegan
      options. When I went vegan, most soya milk curdled in instant coffee,
      and the one commonly available brand of vegan "cheese" looked and
      tasted like plasticine. Vegan cupcakes are now impossible to avoid in
      the more self-consciously fashionable parts of town, and for this I
      thank the dietary vegans.

      full story:

      SEE ALSO:
      Vegetarians, vegans make their diets work in Greater Lafayette

      Animal Concerns Community - now on FACEBOOK - http://goo.gl/IqGNG