(SG) It's not our parents' vegetarianism any more

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2012
      [TODAYonline]

      Singapore has more than 500 vegetarian outlets, and many non-veggie
      eateries offer a growing variety of veggie options. Unfortunately,
      stereotypes discourage people from enjoying veggie food.

      Two of these stereotypes: Only people of certain religions eat veggie
      food and being vegetarian is an either/or situation.

      In the 1990s, when I told people I was a vegetarian, the typical
      response was, "Oh, are you a Buddhist or a Hindu?" I am neither,
      although my non-vegetarian wife is Buddhist.

      Three secular reasons for eating veggie are to boost our health,
      protect the environment and show kindness to animals. Health seems to
      have been the first secular reason to reach public consciousness.

      Thus, upon hearing that I was vegetarian, the typical question became:
      "Oh, is it because of religion or for health?" Recently, more people
      have become aware of the environmental rationale for eating less or no
      meat.

      http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC120102-0000051/Its-not-our-parents-vegetarianism-any-more

      Animal Concerns Community - now on FACEBOOK - http://goo.gl/IqGNG