(CA) On becoming a vegetarian

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 30, 2011
      [Common Ground.ca - opinion]

      ON THE GARDEN PATH by Carolyn Herriot

      I became a vegetarian in 1975 when I landed in Vancouver from London,
      UK and found myself sharing a cooperative house with five other people
      who were all vegetarians. The deal was we each took turns making
      dinner and because I loved cooking, instead of being daunted, I dashed
      out to buy a vegetarian cookbook that would teach me to cook something
      other than egg and cheese dishes.

      I happen to believe ‘You are what you eat’ so after swallowing John
      Robbins’ Diet for a New America, I was clear I did not want the energy
      of suffering and inhumanity that pervades concentrated animal feedlot
      (CAFO) operations to become a part of me. It was at 23 Dunbar Street
      in Vancouver that I understood why I needed to become a vegetarian. I
      shed 30 pounds, felt my energy lighten and I had a much greater sense
      of well-being. There was no going back and I have been a healthy
      vegetarian ever since.

      http://www.commonground.ca/iss/241/cg241_herriot.shtml