Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

USA / SUV-plowing Elizabeth S. Grubman labeled a vegetarian by NY Times

Expand Messages
  • Pamela Rice
    The New York Times November 30, 2002 Grubman Leaves Suffolk Jail After Serving 38 Days of Term By LESLIE KAUFMAN The reporters and camera crews were out at
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 30, 2002
      The New York Times
      November 30, 2002

      Grubman Leaves Suffolk Jail After Serving 38 Days of Term

      The reporters and camera crews were out at dawn and ready to pounce,
      as they have been at every juncture of the very public case against
      Elizabeth S. Grubman, the Manhattan publicist. But yesterday morning,
      Ms. Grubman gave everyone the slip as she was released from the
      Suffolk County jail.

      Ms. Grubman, 31, had finished serving two-thirds of a two-month
      sentence for backing into a crowd outside a Hamptons nightclub,
      injuring 16 people, and then fleeing the scene.

      In the afternoon, outside her apartment on the Upper East Side of
      Manhattan, the newly freed publicist resurfaced. Looking freshly
      scrubbed and wearing black boots and jeans, she appeared, smiling, on
      her building's front step.

      "I can't tell you all how happy I am to be home," she said to a group
      of reporters.

      She brushed aside questions about life behind bars and what she
      learned there, saying she planned to spend a quiet weekend with
      family and friends before "dedicating all my time to my business on

      Her spokesman, Dan Klores, later filled in the details: his client
      would spend Sunday celebrating a belated Thanksgiving with her
      family, and Sunday and Monday watching the Jets and the Giants.

      "She learned a lot in prison," Mr. Klores said. "She felt, even
      though it was jail, there were other decent women in prison."

      In the end, Ms. Grubman served 38 days of the 60-day sentence she
      received for backing her father's Mercedes-Benz sport utility vehicle
      into a crowd outside the Conscience Point Inn in Southampton in July
      2001, then driving away. More than a half-dozen of those injured
      filed civil suits against Ms. Grubman, however, and many of those
      suits are still pending.

      Officials at the jail in Riverhead gave her time off for model
      behavior. While there, Ms. Grubman taught classes in computer skills
      and career management and won an election to represent her tier. One
      of her lawyers, Edward Burke Jr., visited Ms. Grubman on Thanksgiving
      Day to discuss her release and said yesterday that she was doing
      well. Ms. Grubman was offered a turkey meal, but it is unlikely she
      partook, since she is a vegetarian.

      By about 10 a.m. yesterday, more than a half-dozen inmates had
      trickled from the jail after their release, but Ms. Grubman was not
      among them. Alan Otto, a spokesman for the Suffolk police, said only
      that all the inmates scheduled for release had left. Ms. Grubman
      showed up at her Manhattan apartment about two hours later.

      Although her jail time is over, Ms. Grubman is hardly a free agent.
      She still has to complete 280 hours of community service, and could
      be on probation for as long as five years.

      She is scheduled to meet with her probation officer for the first
      time on Monday at the department's offices in downtown Manhattan. She
      will probably have to check in at least once a month for the
      foreseeable future, members of her legal team said. Probation
      officers can impose significant restrictions on their wards'
      activities, including monitoring and restricting travel.

      Next on Ms. Grubman's agenda is presumed to be revitalizing her image
      and that of her public relations business, which has lost clients and
      sustained high-level defections of colleagues. Eventually, Ms.
      Grubman is expected to give an interview to one of the television
      networks, but in the meantime will put her energy into winning back
      the trust and dollars of the high-prestige, image-conscious
      businesses that were the mainstay of her clientele.

      "I would be surprised if she is not back at her office by Monday,
      Tuesday latest," said Stephen P. Scaring, the other lawyer who
      represented her.

      Copyright The New York Times Company
    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.