(US/il) Baker prepares for Food Network battle

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2011
      When her parents left an adolescent Kim Garr at home alone, they
      didn’t warn her against watching too much TV or talking on the phone
      for hours.

      “When my parents were going out for the night, my mom would say ‘don’t
      bake anything,” recalls Kim, now 35, of growing up in Elk Grove
      Village.

      “I always liked to bake,” Kim says. “I love sweets so much, I loved
      that I could make something and get to eat it.”
      The couple had adopted a vegan diet (one without animal products
      including eggs and dairy), yet she didn’t want to give up her favorite
      childhood treats so she learned to adapt them with vegan ingredients.
      After working for a time in a bakery she started her own bakeshop,
      C’est la V, (as in vegan) where she creates scones, brownies, tea
      loaves, muffins, cupcakes and more for farmers markets, catered events
      and online customers.

      Her creations landed her in the hot seat on Food Network’s hit show
      “Cupcake Wars” airing at 8 p.m. Tuesday, March 8.

      “A friend of a friend said they were casting for the second season and
      I was getting ready to send in my bio, when I got a call from the Food
      Network; a woman there had seen my C’est la Vegan blog).”

      http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20110301/entlife/703019857/