(US/tn) Watkins Memorial graduate's book fills void for vegan children

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 22, 2010
      [The Newark Advocate]

      NASHVILLE -- When Nathalie VanBalen was growing up in Pataskala, she
      was curious about the vegetarian lifestyle.

      In grade school, she started a cycle where she would eat meat for a
      period of time and then not eat it.

      Looking back at that time, VanBalen, who is now a vegan and eats plant
      products only, wishes she had been able to read more vegetarian-based
      literature.

      "When I was a kid my family was supportive, but I certainly didn't
      have any books, media or toys that spoke to me."

      VanBalen, who graduated from Watkins Memorial and Denison University,
      in Granville, and now lives in Nashville, wrote a children's book she
      hopes will fill that void in the lives of other youngsters.

      The book, titled "Garlic-Onion-Beet-Spinach-Mango-Carrot-Grapefruit
      Juice," follows a family of five (Thora, a big-eyed doll, two
      "tweeter" birds and two non-typical Vikings who do not wear horned
      helmets).

      http://www.newarkadvocate.com/article/20101222/COMMUNITIES01/12230308