(US) Eco Etiquette: Can You Be A Weekday Vegetarian?

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 10, 2010
      [Huffington Post - comments at full story link]

      My friend just told me at lunch that she's a weekday vegetarian. Is
      this a real thing? And isn't it kind of hypocritical?

      -Addison

      Hypocritical? Maybe. Effective? Yes.

      To hardcore veggies, calling yourself a weekday vegetarian may be like
      saying you're a little bit pregnant: Impossible. After all, if you're
      ethically opposed to eating animals, the idea of scarfing seitan on
      Tuesday and then polishing off a porterhouse on Sunday would be
      tantamount to blasphemy.

      But the number of people who count themselves in that category is a
      small one: 1.3 percent of the US population. (That statistic refers to
      the number of vegans, who by and large cite ethical reasons for their
      dietary choices.) That's why I think that the idea of becoming a
      part-time vegetarian is, for the most part, a brilliant one. It
      proffers a more moderate approach for the other 99 percent of us who
      aren't quite ready to quit turkey, um, cold turkey.

      http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jennifer-grayson/eco-etiquette-can-you-be-_b_781369.html