(US) Step away from the burger: World Vegan Day has arrived

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2010
      [Washington Post]

      If you've ever wondered whether you could get through a day without a
      burger, bacon or even that splash of milk in your coffee, today is a
      perfect excuse to find out: It's World Vegan Day.

      To try going vegan for a day, check out our Best Bets list of favorite
      places to nosh like a vegan (and if you're not ready to go whole faux
      hog, there are plenty of vegetarian options, too). Or check out
      tonight's World Vegan Day event at 6:30 p.m. at Busboys and Poets'
      Fifth and K location, where a slew of high-profile local vegans will
      be sharing stories on making the change.

      As for us, we're using the occasion to launch a new series
      highlighting the best vegan and vegetarian dishes we've spied in
      restaurants around the region, some in places you'd never expect.
      First up, we point you to the one dish that you'd probably never
      expect to be vegan: pizza.

      While Washington has plenty of pizzerias that will serve your pizza
      sans dairy, we've compiled a handful of faves that will happily serve
      up vegan pizza made with soy cheese or the nut-based cheese
      substitute, Daiya, that's turning up on menus across the city.

      http://voices.washingtonpost.com/goingoutgurus/2010/11/step_away_from_the_burger_worl.html