(US) Food Justice is an Animal Rights Issue

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 31, 2010
      [Opposing Views]

      Last March, my partner and I volunteered to gather data for an
      important study by the Food Empowerment Project on the availability of
      fruits and vegetables in Santa Clara County, California.

      The Food Empowerment Project just released the report this week, and
      the results are disturbing, reflecting significant disparities in
      access to healthy foods in low-income communities and communities of
      color.

      But first, why am I writing about this study here? Why is this an
      “animal issue”? The Food Empowerment Project, led by long-time animal
      rights campaigner lauren Ornelas, is one of the few groups working at
      the intersections of the animal rights movement and the food justice
      movement, drawing connections between the exploitation of human and
      nonhuman animals in the production and distribution of food.
      These results illustrate the drastic inequalities in access to
      healthy, vegan food in low-income communities. Food justice, in
      addition to being a compelling civil rights issue on its own terms, is
      an animal rights issue: we cannot promote a vegan, plant-based diet
      without simultaneously trying to remedy the structural injustices that
      make such a diet nearly impossible for large portions of the country.

      http://www.opposingviews.com/i/food-justice-is-an-animal-rights-issue

      >>> 20+ news links added in the past hour!!!