(US) Flexitarian Commenters Set Me Straight on Meat (Or Lack Thereof)

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 9, 2009
      [U.S. News & World Report - opinion - comments at full story link]

      On Wednesday, I wrote about an article in Audubon Magazine which
      revealed that, to halt climate change, we needed to eat about a
      quarter of the amount of meat we currently consume each day. A
      flexitarian diet, as we've all heard before, is better for our planet
      and our waistlines, but the term "flexitarian" is so all-encompassing
      that anything goes, really. Now climate-change flexitarians have
      something to aim for - no more than 3.1 ounces of meat per day, no
      more than half of that being red meat.

      But many of the commenters, both here and on other sites that linked
      to the post (thanks, Lifehacker and Serious Eats), disagreed with my
      wording, and approach. If someone wants to cut back on meat, rather
      than thinking about maintaining a certain day's quota, it's better to
      go vegetarian for breakfast and lunch, or breakfast and dinner, or
      only eat meat when you're at restaurants or with friends. Then, after
      a few vegetarian meals, you're free to indulge in that burger, or
      juicy piece of chicken. Creating boundaries, rather than measuring
      portions, is the way to go, I'm told.

      Here's their advice:

      http://www.usnews.com/blogs/fresh-greens/2009/01/09/flexitarian-commenters-set-me-straight-on-meat-or-lack-thereof.html