(U.S.) Thanksgiving Wish: More Americans Try to Connect Faith and Dietary Practices

  • MaryFinelli@Comcast.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2008
      Thanksgiving wish: More Americans try to connect faith and dietary practices.

      The Salt Lake Tribune, Peggy Fletcher Stack, November 21, 2008

      Peggy Fletcher Stack writes about religion and spirituality.

      This year, as so many years before, Faith Maloney won't cook a turkey for Thanksgiving. It would be like eating a beloved companion. "This is a very sad time for us," says Maloney, co-founder of Best Friends Animal Sanctuary in Kanab. "I feel so bad. I have taken care of the chickens and turkeys who can be as individual as your dog or cat. They deserve to live as much as the rest of us." It strikes Maloney as "discordant," she says, to be thanking God while crouching over "the carcass of a fellow creature in the journey." Becoming vegan "was a pretty easy decision for me," says Maloney, who was raised in an Irish Catholic home where meat and potatoes were the norm. "I was working on rescuing animals on the one hand, then eating others of them. There was an inconsistency in my practices."

      more at:

      http://www.sltrib.com/faith/ci_11023867