(US/nc) The creative vegan

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 7, 2008
      There's almost no end to the list of skills Dilip Barman possesses.

      He is a teacher, a computer scientist, a photographer, a competitive
      organic rose gardener and a cooking instructor. Barman, 46, also is
      president of the Triangle Vegetarian Society and responsible for what
      has become the nation's largest vegetarian and vegan Thanksgiving
      feast, which will be held for the 10th year at Parizade in Durham.

      For those who may not know, vegetarians and vegans do not eat animal
      products and vegans also exclude dairy.

      Since the fall of 2005, Barman, who is a vegan, has undertaken an
      interesting challenge: to never cook the same dinner for his wife,
      Sangeeta. As Barman wrote on his Web site: "We weren't together every
      night, but since fall 2005, we've shared most dinners. I think I can
      keep up the unique creations through spring 2006 -- maybe beyond!"
      Well, it's September 2008 and Barman hasn't run out of vegan
      inspiration yet.
      ..
      When did you become a vegan?

      "I moved here like in 1992, I think, and joined the Triangle
      Vegetarian Society, which I've now been leading for most of the time
      since I've been here. I learned even more about veganism. So I took
      over the group. I wasn't a vegan. I was a lacto-vegetarian. Most
      people of Indian background who are vegetarian are lacto-vegetarian
      and they eat plenty of dairy products. I understood the arguments.
      When I'd give talks, I'd promote veganism. But I'd always be honest
      and say, but I'm not there yet. Many people were saying, 'You will be
      vegan.' I'd say, 'I don't think I will. I like my cheese and all.' But
      I was cutting back. The arguments made good sense. I researched them:
      whether for your health or the environment or the animals. So I was
      giving it up. I wasn't eating so many dairy products. In the end, I
      was eating almost none. I just gave them up. I've been vegan probably
      six, seven years. Everything people said about veganism turned out to
      be quite true."

      What was that?

      "Anecdotally, everybody I know who has become vegan tells me they
      don't get sick anymore. I used to routinely get two bouts of flu a
      year, every single year. At least one would be bad; I'd be out of work
      for like a week. Ever since I gave up dairy products, I haven't been
      [sick] once."
      To read Barman's blog, go to http://dilipdinner.blogspot.com/

      To learn more about the Triangle Vegetarian Society, go to
      www.trianglevegsociety.org/

      http://www.newsobserver.com/105/story/1209666.html