US-Teacher Brutally Hatchets Helpless Bird to Death Before Young Students

  • United Poultry Concerns
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 4, 2002
      UNITED POULTRY CONCERNS * PO Box 150 * Machipongo, VA 23405
      757-678-7875 * Fax:757-678-5070 * http://www.UPC-online.org

      FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Contact: Karen Davis 757-678-7875
      October 4, 2002

      Teacher Brutally Hatchets Helpless Bird to Death Before Young Students
      Teacher Compares Hatchet Killing to Use of "Screwdriver and Hammer"

      Machipongo, VA - Washington Island School District administrators
      should adopt an immediate written policy banning the instructional
      killing of birds and other animals. The Wisconsin teacher who killed
      a chicken on school property on September 20 crassly compared this
      bird to a "thing," and the hatchet he used to kill her with he
      referred to as a tool "in the sense of a screwdriver or a hammer."

      An October 2 article in the Green Bay Press-Gazette (Wisconsin) shows
      the extent to which Washington Island school administrators and the
      teacher, Steve Waldron, are manipulating language to insulate
      students (and themselves) from the reality of this cruel and
      unnecessary schoolyard killing. It's absurd to assert, as the School
      Board president does, that this teacher "deals with life and death in
      a most respectful manner." Mr. Waldron didn't "deal with" death-HE
      DEALT OUT DEATH and seeks to hide his deed in a blather of platitudes
      and euphemisms.

      Parents and others who objected to the schoolyard killing of an
      animal might want to use the episode to reflect on why a killing they
      consider unsuitable to be seen is okay to commit behind the closed
      doors of a slaughterhouse. In some Asian cultures, dogs are killed
      for food. Should students be given "diversity" lessons in how other
      cultures kill animals whom most Americans regard as family
      companions?

      Chickens experience pain, terror, and suffering the same as mammals.
      Avian physiologist Dr. Lesley J. Rogers points out that "the
      assumption that birds, including chickens, are not as highly evolved
      as mammals is incorrect."

      "If we wonder where so much of our violence and callous disregard for
      life comes from, we need to look at the classroom as well as the
      hypocrisy we are passing on to our children," Dr. Karen Davis,
      President of United Poultry Concerns, insists. "The idea that
      slaughter is 'necessary' and 'respectful' is ridiculous, and
      slaughtering a chicken in front of students is not the same kind of
      demonstration as showing them how a baby is born."

      United Poultry Concerns is a nonprofit organization that promotes the
      compassionate and respectful treatment of domestic fowl. For more
      information, visit http://www.UPC-online.org