(US-oh) Akron struggles to be cool enough for Chrissie Hynde

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 5, 2008
      [Cleveland Scene Weekly]

      When Akron Mayor Don Plusquellic first heard The Pretenders' 1984 hit
      "My City Was Gone," he was none too pleased. Singer Chrissie Hynde was
      clearly taking shots at his town.
      Over 20 years later, it appeared Plusquellic had finally forgiven
      Hynde. When she opened her VegiTerranean restaurant in Akron last
      year, the mayor proudly announced, "Chrissie, your city is back!"

      But the truce was short-lived.

      Just a few months ago, Hynde did an interview with Vegetarian Times
      about her new eatery. When asked why she opened a restaurant in Akron,
      rather than London, Hynde sniffed, "I have nowhere to go when I'm [in
      Akron], so it was out of necessity. I'm ashamed to be from a place
      where there's not one vegetarian restaurant in the whole town. But
      Akron has no downtown . . . I'm surprised it took 30 years to open a
      vegetarian restaurant in Akron and that I had to do it, you know? I
      live 5,000 miles away, but I had to come back and do it."
      ... When asked why she was making her restaurant vegetarian rather
      than vegan, she answered: "Because they don't understand what vegan is
      in Akron. It's too radical."

      After the article ran, however, Hynde decided to make the joint vegan,
      and it's proven enormously popular. That's what's really radical:
      Akronites are patronizing a restaurant whose owner holds them in
      contempt.

      http://www.clevescene.com/2008-03-05/news/akron-struggles-to-be-cool-enough-for-chrissie-hynde