(US-ca) This Season, Opt for an Animal-Friendly Holiday

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 6, 2007
      [The UCSD Guardian Online - letter]

      The holidays are upon us, and for most people this season conjures up
      images of friends family, and, of course, lots of food.

      However, this time of the year reminds me of UCSD, where, as a biology
      major studying animal behavior in 1997, I celebrated the holidays, for
      the first time, with vegetarian feasts.

      My decision to become a vegetarian stemmed from my experiences working
      with bonobos (pygmy chimpanzees) during a special project at UCSD.

      I started seeing these intelligent and inquisitive animals in a whole
      new light and began extending this new vision to other animals —
      namely the animals I ate for breakfast, lunch and dinner. It was also
      at this time that I discovered many of the hidden horrors of factory
      farms: Egg-laying hens are crowded in tiny wire cages so restrictive
      that they can barely move, let alone nest or spread their wings;
      mother pigs spend months at a time nearly immobilized inside narrow
      metal crates; and turkeys are bred to grow large so quickly that their
      skeletons often cannot keep up with their abnormal body weight.
      Standard practices also include castrating male calves and pigs
      without painkillers.
      I'm hardly alone — millions of Americans are sharing their holiday
      spirit with the animals by celebrating with vegetarian foods. Make
      this holiday season a compassionate one by visiting TryVeg.com for
      quick and easy recipes that everyone can enjoy.

      — Noelle Callahan

      Outreach Assistant,

      Compassion Over Killing

      http://ucsdguardian.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=9326&Itemid=3