(UK) 'Ethical' foie gras hits shops for Christmas

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 30, 2007
      The first "ethical" foie gras to be made in Britain is being launched
      by a supermarket chain next week.

      The goose liver and duck liver pates have been made without the
      traditional force-feeding of the birds.

      Waitrose, who is selling the products, has named them "faux gras" and
      marketing them as a British twist on the French product, made without
      cruelty to the birds.

      The supermarket stopped selling French foie gras six years ago, as the
      tide of popular opinion turned against the force feeding of birds -
      traditionally the only way to give the livers the truly plump feel and
      smooth taste that is so prized by gourmets.

      It has the backing of the animal charity RSPCA which says the faux
      gras was created with welfare in mind.

      A spokesman for the supermaket admits that "fans of real foie gras
      will realise this is not the real thing."

      However, David Stone, a buyer for the chain, said: "We think this is
      as near to authentic foie gras as we can get without the cruelty. We
      are confident we have come up with the holy grail of the gastronomic
      world - a pate with the richness of traditional foie gras, but without
      any of the guilt."
      Critics of the French food include former James Bond star Sir Roger Moore.

      The actor backed a People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals call
      for a blanket ban on foie gras sales in the UK.

      Campaigners criticise the feeding process, saying grain is forced down
      the birds' throats via a pipe which can injure them.

      http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/12/01/nxmas401.xml