(US-pa) Vegetarian life-style is healthier, climate friendly

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2007
      [Allentown Morning Call - opinion]

      Today is World Vegetarian Day. It may not seem significant to your
      life, so let me show you how seriously it impacts all of us.

      Americans, as well as the people of most Western nations, are obsessed
      with meat and dairy foods. Every restaurant proudly advertises its
      selection of meat entrees. Almost everyone believes that meat and
      dairy are essential to life, that without them we could not survive in
      good health. The meat and dairy industries advertise their products to
      persuade us that they are good for our health. These are
      multibillion-dollar conglomerates, and when the grain and soy
      industries that feed the meat industries are thrown in, they become
      the largest industry in the country.

      These foods are literally killing us. Kerrie Saunders, Ph.D., author
      of ''The Vegan Diet as Chronic Disease Prevention'' asserts that 80 to
      90 percent of our common chronic diseases are related to our heavy
      reliance on meat and dairy. ...
      Our obsession with animal-eating, then, is at a critical stage. Unless
      many more millions of people adopt vegetarian life-styles, our health
      will continue to decline and the environment will continue to
      deteriorate as we consume our resources beyond sustainability and
      destroy the conditions that make our planet livable. We are at a
      global ''tipping point,'' requiring major changes in our attitudes and
      behaviors. Becoming vegetarian is one of those changes, as have more
      than 800 people in the Lehigh Valley who have chosen healthy and vital
      living. So today, show your support for your health and the health of
      the planet by having a meat-free day and consider making it the first
      of many healthy days.

      Len Frenkel of Upper Saucon Township is a member of Sustainable
      Communities of the Lehigh Valley and is president of Lehigh Valley
      Vegetarians.

      http://www.mcall.com/news/opinion/anotherview/all-frenkel10-1.6017772oct01,0,1181980.story

      SEE ALSO:
      Eat your vegetables all month long