(US-ca) Gilroy First Vegetarian Restaurant Opening Soon

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2007
      Gilroy - Tofu croquettes with mushroom parmesan gravy? Polenta layered
      with sauteed spinach and covered with an onion dressing? These are
      just two of the original dishes Judy Nome will prepare at the downtown
      vegetarian cafe she's opening.

      It's her first restaurant venture, and the first vegetarian place
      here, but she's open for the challenge.

      "I'm confident enough in the cooking that people will find it tasty,
      and they'll be people serving it to you who care," Judy Nome said of
      her husband, whose name is just Nome, and her two daughters. "Of
      course, you know, there's always the thought that it may not take off,
      but it's in the hands of a higher power now."
      "I'd try it out," said Dulce Saucedo, an employee at Mafalda's Bridal
      Shop downtown. "Not a lot of people are vegetarians, but it's still a
      good idea."

      Samuel Barboza, 18, agreed and said the restaurant would serve as a
      "retreat" for the vegetarian and curious alike.

      "In every community there are people who are pro-vegetarian or vegan,"
      Barboza said while he was browsing the Downtown Skate Shop between
      Fifth and Sixth streets. "I know five people personally who are
      vegetarians, and I went to a vegetarian place in San Jose that was
      packed, and we are ethnically and culturally similar down here."

      http://www.gilroydispatch.com/news/contentview.asp?c=224310