(US-tx) Scott Cary wants to whip the police force into shape

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 7, 2007
      Cary gave up meat, started to run
      Sgt. Scott Cary used to fit that ugly stereotype: A burger-munching
      cop in an extra-large uniform, he couldn't make time in his
      stressed-out life for exercise.

      Today, though, he's decked in running shorts and a T-shirt, pacing the
      sidewalk outside RunTex as he waits for the Austin Police Department
      Running Team to show up for their Tuesday night workout. Cary formed
      this team three years ago, hoping to help his co-workers do what he
      did — hone muscle, shed weight and ease tension.
      "I was on the street for five years," Cary says. "All I ate was fried
      chicken, pizza and burgers. Then I was promoted to detective and
      worked robbery for three years. My diet was even worse then."

      "The stress is unbelievable. I ballooned up to 280 pounds, didn't work
      out, got depressed. I knew I had to change something in my life, but I
      didn't know how to do it."
      Still, he aimed for a single meat-free month. It wasn't easy,
      especially at restaurants and parties. At first, he craved meat. But
      at the end of a month he'd lost 10 pounds and felt, he says, 100
      percent better. In October 2005, he dropped dairy products from his
      diet and became vegan. His cholesterol has dropped from more than 200
      then to 117.

      He compares giving up meat to quitting cigarettes, which he did in
      1976, or cutting out alcohol, which he did in 1981. "You give it up
      one meal at a time," he says. "I didn't quit meat for animal rights, I
      did it for my own health. And I can't ever see going back to my old
      eating habits."
      "The days of coffee and doughnuts are over," he says. "It's a latte
      with soy milk and a bagel."

      Or, as the case might be, a bean and rice burrito. With tonight's
      running practice over, it's time to refuel. And Cary is headed to
      Freebirds.

      pleblanc@...; 445-3994

      http://www.statesman.com/search/content/life/stories/health/08/06/0806fitcity.html