Fw: World's First Vegan Fish by Swiss Scientists

  • John Davis
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 31, 2007
      The world's first headless, vegan, fish - Scomberomorus Maculates

      Swiss Biochimeric engineering scientists have managed to breed the world's
      first headless, brainless, fishless, fish by adding in proteins and fatty
      acids from EPA DHA rich micro algae. Macrobiotic Chimeric Engineering has
      reached new heights with the breeding of a new species that is closer to
      algae and seaweed than a fish.

      There are plans to launch the fish at the International ethical living
      festival at the 5th Bristol Vegan Fayre on June 9th & 10th in Bristol City ’s
      new waterside development. A big tank is being borrowed from the London
      Aquarium and they will be grown on site. Negotiations are underway with
      Bristol City Council, Greenpeace and Friends of the Earth to ensure none of
      the creatures escape into the wild.

      Dr Oeildoiseau from the Lake Geneva Institute in Switzerland said “Zis is an
      amazing breakthrough that was achieved without genetic engineering and has
      incredible repercussions for the health of the world’s poor and landlocked
      communities. Ze technique used was a little like skin grafting and is made
      possible by ze very special properties of omega 3 rich essential fatty acids
      in micro algae which we added into vegetarian caviar eggs made from seaweed
      and potato starch.”

      Marine biologists have confirmed the new fish is not a fish and classes as a
      plant as it is genetically simpler than plankton. Plankton falls just within
      the animal kingdom so isn’t classed as vegetarian or vegan. Hugh Haddock
      from Aberdeen University said “This unique plant is perfect for farming,
      because it has two tails and no head it just swims around in circles.
      Because it’s not technically a fish there are no issues with all the usual
      harvesting dilemmas such as electrocution, gassing, or stunning with a
      truncheon and then gill slitting”

      A spokesman Redwoods foods who make the fish free making waves range of
      vegan scampi, fishless fingers, vegan salmon pate and tuna said today “We
      are assessing the ethical and sustainability implications of this rather
      intriguing development. We will also be seeking feedback from our customers
      to find out their reactions to it. Even though it’s not technically a fish I
      suspect that some of our customers may still be a bit squeamish about
      something that looks like something from Dr Doolittle - a headless
      Push-Me-Pull-You fish.”

      Vegan Society spokesman Joe King said “There’s no doubt that Scomberomorus
      Maculates Scervellato is not an animal, it has no central nervous system.
      This product would be eligible for registration with The Vegan Society –
      whether or not vegans would buy it is another matter.”

      Plamil Foods who make sugar free vegan chocolate fortified with hempseeds
      for extra amino acids and essential fats have ruled out the possibility of
      including the vegan fish in their chocolate. “It may go well with our
      organic egg free mayonnaises but it’s not something we are looking to use as
      an ingredient.” said managing director Adrian Ling.

      A spokesperson for Water 4 Investments the company behind the world’s first
      vegan alternative to omega 3 fish oil DHA and EPA - V Pure said today “We
      can see no benefit to us from this vegan fish, our strain of algae already
      provides all the nutrients we need – there would just be extra expense and
      effort but no advantages from making oil from this Frankensteinesque

      Editor's Notes

      Tony Bishop-Weston - Foods For Life / PEA PR - Tel: 0871 2884642 Text:
      www.pea-pr.co.uk . www.foodsforlife.co.uk . www.optimumnutritionists.com .