(US-fl) Seek a healthier body and planet

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2007
      [Sarasota Herald-Tribune - letter]

      It's been an interesting year in terms of food. We started the year in
      the grip of a bird-flu pandemic scare. Originating in Asian chicken
      factories, the disease still threatens to kill tens of millions of
      birds.

      In April, the Chicago City Council banned the sale of cruelly produced
      foie gras, setting an important precedent for other cities.
      IIn December, the United Nations' Food and Agriculture Organization
      reported that the meat industry and dairy production account for 18
      percent of all greenhouse gases responsible for global warming. ...
      There is a definite pattern here. It may be time to explore the rich
      variety of veggie burgers, dogs, deli slices and heat-and-eat dinners.
      Also, check out soy-based milk, cheese and ice cream in our local
      supermarket, as well as the more traditional fare of vegetables, nuts,
      grains and fruits.

      Did I mention that this change would make a delicious, easy-to-keep
      New Year's resolution?

      http://www.heraldtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070101/OPINION/701010301/1029