(US-nv) Returning to the area's vegetarian roots

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2006
      A few weeks back, we had the privilege of cooking for a group of
      people who felt strongly enough about Virginia City's historic
      preservation to throw down $120 per plate. The dinner was part of the
      "Parties of the Year" series to aid in the ongoing restoration of the
      Fourth Ward School. It was held at the St. Mary's Art Center,
      originally the town's hospital and itself the beneficiary of much hard
      work and harder earned dollars.
      Another thing you wouldn't expect to find here in the middle of beef
      country is vegetarians, but we get them. The dish which follows
      includes two of the trilogy of early Mexican ingredients - squash and
      corn - the third being beans.

      Bear in mind that before the arrival of the Europeans in the mid 1500s
      with their practice of raising animals for food, there wasn't much
      meat on the menu. With the exception of the unfortunate rabbit, fawn
      or fowl to wander into their sights, the natives of Mexico were for
      the most part vegetarians.

      http://www.nevadaappeal.com/article/20061101/FOOD/111010090

      More News Headlines -- RSS Feed!
      New Links -- 100 most recent links!
      Events, E-Mail Lists, Jobs, Organizations, and Forums