(UK) Eat Like An Ape

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 4, 2006
      A vegetable based diet is the key for longevity

      Want to dodge heart disease? Then eat like an ape!

      People with elevated cholesterol have heard the mantra from their
      doctors: eat a healthy diet and exercise more, or you may up your risk
      of a heart attack. But as anyone who has struggled to lower their
      cholesterol through diet knows, it is no easy task. Cholesterol can be
      obtained when you eat foods high in cholesterol, but it is also made
      by the liver. Consequently, it has been thought that dietary changes
      could not lower cholesterol as effectively as the cholesterol-lowering
      medications known as statins. But a recent study that compares the two
      approaches shows that a diet that includes almonds and several other
      specific plant foods can lower cholesterol—specifically LDL, the "bad"
      cholesterol—as significantly as a leading cholesterol-lowering
      medication.
      We had some interest in looking at the evolution of the human diet.
      The thinking was that for much of our evolutionary development over
      the last 10 or 15 million years, we would have been predominantly
      vegetarian. And if you look at the great apes living presently, they
      are, for the most part, eating a vegetarian diet. So genetically we're
      designed for basically a fruit, nut and vegetable diet.

      This led to a study that we conducted about three or four years ago
      looking at that sort of diet, a simian diet. We had about a 35 percent
      reduction in LDL cholesterol. So we knew the diet could achieve a much
      greater reduction than that which was generally recognized by health
      professionals.

      http://www.50connect.co.uk/index.asp?main=http%3A//www.50connect.co.uk/50c/articlepages/health_index.asp%3Fsc%3Dhealthyeating%26aID%3D8963

      More News Headlines -- RSS Feed!
      New Links -- 100 most recent links!
      Events, E-Mail Lists, Jobs, Organizations, and Forums