(US-pa) Brookline slaughterhouse irks neighbors

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 30, 2006
      [from Pittsburgh Tribune-Review]

      The last straw for Josie Diamon was when she looked out her back porch
      and spotted the man she called "the Butcher of Brookline" chasing a
      squawking chicken with a homemade noose.

      "I heard squawking, and then silence. I'm not vegetarian, but
      shouldn't have to stand in my yard on a Saturday and hear the screams
      of animals being butchered," said Diamon, a mother of two.

      "It was a house of horrors over there," she said, shuddering at the memory.

      Pittsburgh police say Diamon's neighbor, David Weyand, ran an
      inner-city slaughterhouse from a stench-ridden shed behind his home in
      the 1200 block of Brookline Boulevard, killing baby rabbits, chickens,
      quail and possibly pygmy goats.

      Police charged Weyand with animal cruelty because animals were kept in
      unsanitary conditions, and fined him $1,000 for violating a zoning
      ordinance that prohibits a farm inside city limits on less than 5
      acres of property. Weyand's house, where he lives with his wife and
      five children, didn't fit the bill, Officer Christine Luffy said.

      http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/cityregion/s_460299.html

      More News Headlines -- RSS Feed!
      New Links -- Archive of 100 recent links!
      Events, E-Mail Lists, Jobs, Organizations, and Forums