(US) Freedom's Whole Foods

    Message 1 of 1 , May 31 9:42 PM
      [opinion from American Spectator]

      I've been there, so the things that John Mackey, CEO of Whole Foods
      Market, says in the June 2006 issue of Liberty magazine essentially
      ring true.

      Whole Foods is big now, one of the nation's fastest growing mass
      retailers, with sales last year exceeding $5 billion and a gross
      profit of more than $1.6 billion -- not a bad return in the grocery
      business.

      It didn't start that way. Coming out of the counterculture movement of
      the 1960s and 1970s, Mackey, a vegetarian, a former long-haired and
      bearded commune resident, a student of ecology, yoga, and eastern
      philosophy, writes that he idealistically opened a small food store in
      1978 with his girlfriend, with a total capital outlay of $45,000. The
      store lost $23,000 in its first year
      "I believed that 'profit' was a necessary evil at best and certainly
      not a desirable goal for society as a whole," he writes. "However,
      becoming an entrepreneur completely changed my life. Everything I
      believed about business was proven to be wrong."
      The freedom movement, libertarians, and free market economists, he
      writes, have done a poor job of defending the social legitimacy of
      business, economic freedom, capitalism, individualism and free
      markets. The message should be that business, working through free
      markets, has arguably been the world's greatest force for human
      progress and our collective well-being, delivering increased
      prosperity, less poverty, extended longevity and democratic freedoms.

      Ralph R. Reiland, the B. Kenneth Simon professor of free enterprise at
      Robert Morris University in Pittsburgh.

      http://www.spectator.org/dsp_article.asp?art_id=9892

      More News Headlines -- RSS Feed!
      New Links -- Archive of 100 recent links!
      Events, E-Mail Lists, Jobs, Organizations, and Forums