21502UPC Helps Rescue 52 Geese and 4 Ducks in Woodland, California

  • UPC News
    Aug 6, 2014
      United Poultry Concerns - http://www.UPC-online.org/

      UPC Helps Rescue 52 Geese and 4 Ducks in Woodland, California

      As you may recall from our alert earlier this week, dozens of flightless
      domestic geese and several ducks were suffering from dehydration and fear as the
      pond they have called home since the 1980s had dried up, due to California's
      severe drought. The birds were wandering the parched ground suffering from the
      lack of water. Each night they were threatened by predators with no water to
      escape into. Some had already died as a result of their situation.

      They needed our help without delay, so on Tuesday morning, August 5, United
      Poultry Concerns, Carolina Waterfowl Rescue, Hen Harbor and Direct Action
      Everywhere gathered in Woodland to mount a rescue. Thanks to UPC members, the
      city of Woodland received many calls and e-mails this week, urging them to
      relocate the birds. City officials, including the Director of Public Works and
      the City Manager, sprang into action Tuesday morning, aiding animal rescuers
      with all-terrain vehicles and a crew of city workers on hand to help.

      When we arrived at the site, the birds stood in the middle of a dry lakebed. We
      set up soft fencing in a large V shape that narrowed to a closed pen just big
      enough for the flock. We then started slowly circling the outer rim of the dry
      pond carefully herding them into the fencing. It went smoothly, with little
      stress to the birds. We then carefully transferred them into the crates which we
      loaded onto the all-terrain vehicles. We are grateful to the city of Woodland
      for providing the vehicles and assisting the rescue, as it was rough terrain and
      hauling the crates by hand would have been extremely difficult.

      The crated birds were then loaded into vans for their ride to Bakersfield,
      California, where a large lake awaits them. They will first be assessed for any
      medical needs and isolated for observation and treatment if necessary, but soon
      they will be bathing, playing and enjoying a large body of water - a waterfowl's
      greatest joy!

      Thank You to our energetic members who made calls and sent e-mails. Your pleas
      made a difference! We are so delighted that the geese and ducks will soon be
      swimming safe in their new home. We thank Carolina Waterfowl Rescue, Direct
      Action Everywhere, Hen Harbor, Harvest Home Animal Sanctuary and all the
      volunteers who donated the crates and supplies that helped make this rescue
      successful.

      News coverage of the rescue:
      Woodland Geese Rescued From Dried Up Pond
      http://fox40.com/2014/08/05/woodland-geese-rescued-from-dried-up-pond/

      View the slideshow of the rescue:
      http://www.upc-online.org/ducks/140806_upc_helps_rescue_geese_and_ducks.html#slideshow

      http://www.UPC-online.org/ http://www.twitter.com/upcnews