21332The Richest Man in the World Explains How to Save the Planet

  • MaryFinelli@...
    Mar 19, 2014
      "And yet we can't go around telling everyone they have to be vegetarians."

      Right, we should instead urge everyone to be vegan.

      from BILL GATES: The Rolling Stone Interview
      The Richest Man in the World Explains How to Save the Planet
      The Rolling Stone,  Jeff Goodell, March 13, 2014

      Q: Agriculture is hugely important, especially in a rapidly warming world, and especially with the Earth's population projected to reach 9.6 billion by 2050. How are we going to feed them all?

      A: In the 1960s, there was this thing called the Green Revolution, where new seeds and other improvements drove up agricultural productivity in Asia and Latin America. It saved millions of lives and lifted many people out of poverty. But it basically bypassed sub-Saharan Africa. Today, the average farmer there is only about a third as productive as an American farmer. If we can get that number up, and I think we can, it will help a lot.

      There is also this problem where as people get richer and join the global middle class, they want to eat more protein. It's a nice problem to have that people are getting richer. But eating meat is hard on the environment – it demands a lot of land and water.

      And yet we can't go around telling everyone they have to be vegetarians. So coming up with affordable plant-based proteins, basically meat substitutes, that really taste like meat is another area that can make a big difference. I've tasted a few of them, and I really couldn't tell the difference between them and the real thing.

      http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/news/bill-gates-the-rolling-stone-interview-20140313