    Mar 18, 2014

      A notice of this article was posted earlier on the Fish Feel Facebook page: https://www.Facebook.com/FishFeel.org

      PROTEIN PREFERENCES
      Meat & Poultry, March 17, 2014

      In a recently released report titled “Protein Perceptions and Needs”, NPD [a leading market research firm] found that one-half of consumers say non-meat sources are best while the other half indicated meat and fish as the best sources of protein. NPD noted consumption increases for protein sources such as eggs, chicken, yogurt, and nuts and seeds.

      **

      Harry Balzer, chief industry analyst and author of “Eating Patterns in America”: “While our interest in protein is growing, we’re looking for alternatives to meat. Many of us are looking to lower the cost of our protein sources, and animal meat is generally more expensive than plant-based protein, which explains the growth in Greek yogurt and other alternate protein sources.”

      NPD found that consumers were willing to look beyond animal-based proteins to satisfy their need for protein.

      **

      “It is important for food and beverage marketers to highlight wherever possible that their products are a good source of lean protein.”: Darren Seifer, NPD food and beverage industry analyst and co-author of the “Protein Perceptions and Needs” report.

      more at:
      http://tinyurl.com/lpgkdm7
      or
      http://www.meatpoultry.com/articles/news_home/Trends/2014/03/Protein_preferences.aspx?ID={4D5C282F-BCC1-4648-98AB-99C6C1012B65}