21267Re: [ivu-veg-news] National Fire Protection Association Responds to UPC's Petition on Behalf of Farmed Animals!

  • MaryFinelli@...
    Feb 12, 2014
      This is SO important. I hope everyone will act on it and forward it on. So many animals perish in agony every year because industry doesn't even care enough to prevent the fires, which it could do. It goes to show their absolute lack of concern for these animals whom they are supposed to be responsible for. NFPA should mandate fire prevention measures for these facilities. Please urge them to do so.

      From: news@...
      To: ivu-veg-news@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Wednesday, February 12, 2014 3:29:28 PM
      Subject: [ivu-veg-news] National Fire Protection Association Responds  to UPC's Petition on Behalf of Farmed Animals!

      United Poultry Concerns - http://www.UPC-online.org/

      National Fire Protection Association Responds
      to UPC's Petition on Behalf of Farmed Animals!

      Please Read, Sign & Share:
      https://www.change.org/petitions/national-fire-protection-association-farmed-animals-need-protection-from-preventable-fires

      Dear UPC supporter,

      We are pleased to inform you that the National Fire Protection Association
      posted the following response on our Change.org Petition Feb. 11, 2014. Please
      sign and circulate our Petition, and read the NFPA's instructions for submitting
      a Public Comment urging an amendment to protect farmed animals from preventable
      fires. A Public Comment should be a thoughtful letter including your name,
      postal address, email and phone number stating why you and/or your organization
      support amending NFPA 150, Standard on Fire and Life Safety in Animal Housing
      Facilities to require all newly-constructed animal housing facilities to be
      equipped with sprinklers and smoke control devices. Deadlines for print and
      online submissions are provided below. Thank you for taking this opportunity to
      protect millions of chickens, turkeys, pigs and other farmed animals from
      burning and suffocating to death in buildings from which they cannot escape.
      _________________________________

      National Fire Protection Association responds:

      Posted on February 11, 2014

      Thank you for your interest in NFPA's codes and standards development process.
      NFPA codes and standards are developed by volunteer technical committees made up
      of individuals who represent a broad range of interest groups. It is an open
      consensus process. All our technical committees welcome and consider proposals
      and comments from anyone during the revision cycle.

      NFPA 150, Standard on Fire and Life Safety in Animal Housing Facilities has
      recently completed its First Draft meeting and ballots. Information on the
      changes proposed during the First Draft by the Technical Committee on Animal
      Housing can be found at www.nfpa.org/150next under the "First Draft Report"
      link. The document is currently open for Public Comments. If you would like your
      comment to be reviewed by the Technical Committee, please consider submitting a
      Public Comment at:
      http://www.nfpa.org/150next

      The closing date for paper submittals is 4/11/2014 and the closing date for
      online submittals is 5/16/2014. If you have any questions regarding the NFPA
      Process for reviewing comments or revising documents, please visit:
      http://www.nfpa.org/codes-and-standards/standards-development-process
      _________________________________

      UPC's Response to the NFPA:

      February 12, 2014

      Attention: National Fire Protection Association (NFPA)

      Thank you very much for your timely and helpful response to United Poultry
      Concerns' Change.org petition posted on February 10, 2014. Following your
      instructions, United Poultry Concerns will submit a formal Public Comment,
      respectfully urging that the NFPA 150, Standard on Fire and Life Safety in
      Animal Housing Facilities be amended to mandate installation of sprinklers and
      smoke control systems in all newly-constructed animal housing facilities holding
      animals designated "Category B" by the NFPA. We appreciate the opportunity to
      participate in this vital process on behalf of the largest number of victims of
      preventable fires in the United States - confined farmed animals. We will let
      others know of the opportunity provided by the NFPA to submit Public Comments
      urging protection of confined farmed animals from preventable fires.

      Sincerely,
      Karen Davis, PhD, President
      United Poultry Concerns
      PO Box 150
      Machipongo, VA 23405
      Office: 757-678-7875
      Email: Info@...; karen@...
      Website: http://www.upc-online.org

      Please sign our Change.org Petition and share it with others. Thank you!

      https://www.change.org/petitions/national-fire-protection-association-farmed-animals-need-protection-from-preventable-fires

      http://www.UPC-online.org/ http://www.twitter.com/upcnews
      http://www.facebook.com/UnitedPoultryConcerns

      View this article online