17937The Most Important Solution To Global Warming

  • Stephen Ma
    Nov 30, 2009
      Dear Friends,
      In the run up to the Copenhagen climate change summit, it is vital
      the following information be disseminated to the public as well as to
      our political leaders.
      A widely cited 2006 report by the United Nations Food and
      Agriculture Organization, Livestock’s Long Shadow, estimates that 18
      percent of annual worldwide greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions are
      attributable to livestock….however recent analysis by Goodland and
      Anhang co-authors of “Livestock and Climate Change”
      in the latest issue of World Watch magazine found that livestock and
      their byproducts actually account for at least 32.6 billion tons of
      carbon dioxide per year, or 51 percent of annual worldwide GHG
      emissions!

      http://www.51percent.org

      The main sources of GHGs from animal agriculture are: (1)
      Deforestation of the rainforests to grow feed for livestock. (2)
      Methane from manure waste. – Methane is 72 times more potent as a
      global warming gas than CO2 (3) Refrigeration and transport of meat
      around the world. (4) Raising, processing and slaughtering of the
      animal.
      Meat production also uses a massive amount of water and other
      resources which would be better used to feed the world’s hungry and
      provide water to those in need.
      Based on their research, Goodland and Anhang conclude that replacing
      livestock products with soy-based and other alternatives would be the
      best strategy for reversing climate change. They say “This approach
      would have far more rapid effects on GHG emissions and their
      atmospheric concentrations-and thus on the rate the climate is
      warming-than actions to replace fossil fuels with renewable energy.”
      The fact is that we are being informed of the dangerous path we are
      on by depending greatly on animal flesh for human consumption. We still
      have the opportunity to make the most effective steps in saving
      ourselves and this planet. By simply choosing a plant based diet we can
      reduce our carbon foot print by a huge amount.
      We are gambling with our lives and with those of our future
      generations to come. It’s madness to know we are fully aware of the
      possible consequences but yet are failing to act.
      Please make a truly environmental, healthy and compassionate choice,
      choose to drastically reduce your meat intake or simply go vegetarian
      or vegan. This is the single most powerful action for preventing
      climate change as it is the single largest source of greenhouse gas
      emissions.

      Take action now by visiting http://www.51percent.org

      Thank you for your consideration.
      Yours Sincerely