17768(US) For Vegetarian Month, let's set the record straight on soy

    Oct 1, 2009
      [MiamiHerald.com]

      Happy World Vegetarian Day, the start of Vegetarian Awareness Month.

      We'll mark it here with a consideration of soy, a food formerly known
      as healthful that's been getting a lot of grief. Much of it is
      undeserved and comes via Web misinformation, including claims it
      causes breast cancer, developmental delays, Alzheimer's and man boobs.
      Yuck. And not true.

      Soy may not be the cholesterol-busting miracle we thought it was a
      decade ago, and it is a major allergen (along with wheat, nuts, dairy,
      meat, eggs and seafood). But if you're not allergic to it, take a page
      from Asia, where soy has been a staple for thousands of years.

      Asians tend to be leaner, longer-lived and healthier than we are. One
      difference is how they soy. They consume it in moderation; we make
      entire meals out of it. Megadosing on anything, whether it's soy,
      fries or broccoli, isn't smart.

      http://www.miamiherald.com/living/story/1258870.html