Ivor Cutler 1923 to 2006 RIP

  • John Gibbin
    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 6, 2006
      Sorry to bring this bad news to the group but I have received the sad news from Martin Pople that Ivor Cutler passed away on Friday, he will be sadly missed.

      John

      Ivor Cutler
      January 15 1923 - March 3 2006

      We are very sorry to announce that Ivor Cutler died peacefully in London last Friday. He'd been ill for a while: he had a stroke last week, and passed away quickly, looked after by his family.

      His funeral will be for family and close friends; a memorial event is being planned for later in the year.

      Poet, singer, writer, composer, humourist and painter, Mr Cutler, as he liked to be known by those he didn't know him well, touched and changed the lives of many people and elicited great affection from his audiences and pupils. He will be remembered with great fondness.

      Biography and images available from Martin Pople at Serious

      020 7324 1880 /martin@...

    • Mike Torr
      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 6, 2006
        >Sorry to bring this bad news to the group but I have received the
        >sad news from Martin Pople that Ivor Cutler passed away on Friday,
        >he will be sadly missed.

        I am deeply saddened by this news. I shall continue to lurk on here,
        hoping for news of any memorial events.

        Mike Torr
        http://bloodfalls.org/
      • nednerb
        Message 3 of 24 , Mar 6, 2006
          Very sad news. I sort of expected it but I didn't imagine I'd be this
          affected by the news. There will never be another Ivor, no one could come
          close.
          regards, Brenden (a long time lurker)
        • michael leigh
          Message 4 of 24 , Mar 6, 2006
            Just added a bit about Ivor to my audio blog which you
            may like to see plus both sides of a postcard he sent
            us back in the 90's.

            http://bootsalesounds.blogspot.com/

            michael

            It's another blog! http://flobberlob.blogspot.com/

          • Nick Hart
            Message 5 of 24 , Mar 6, 2006
              This is the day we've been dreading.

              He has touched many lives, and made the world a happy place for many people I know.

              Can't think of anything else right now.

              nednerb <brenpreece@...> wrote:
              Very sad news. I sort of expected it but I didn't imagine I'd be this
              affected by the news. There will never be another Ivor, no one could come
              close.
              regards, Brenden (a long time lurker)

              Ivor cutler

              ---------------------------------

              "Broadsword calling Danny boy,
              Broadsword calling Danny boy. Over"

              Nick

            • Cameron King-Black
              Message 6 of 24 , Mar 6, 2006
                I have known for some time that this day was coming, but it is still a shock. It does not feel real, it still feels as though Mister Cutler will live forever; and he will, of course, through his work, but his body has died.

                This is a sad, sad day.

                Sorry I can't make more sense or be more impressive than this.

                Cameron.

                John Gibbin <john.gibbin@...> wrote:
[...]

                Le poulpe est dans l'arbre

              • Stewart C. Russell
                Message 7 of 24 , Mar 6, 2006
                  Sad, but not unexpected. He was a mensch.

                  Guardian Obituary:
                  <http://www.guardian.co.uk/obituaries/story/0,,1725211,00.html>
                • Rob
                  Message 8 of 24 , Mar 6, 2006
                    I've enjoyed Ivor's work for many years and turned a few others onto
                    him, I was lucky to see him perform in 1979.

                    Rob

                    --- In ivor-list@yahoogroups.com, "John Gibbin" <john.gibbin@...>
                    wrote:

                    > Sorry to bring this bad news to the group but I have received the
                    sad news from Martin Pople that Ivor Cutler passed away on Friday, he
                    will be sadly missed.

                    > John
                    >

                    > Ivor Cutler
                    > January 15 1923 - March 3 2006
                    >

                    > We are very sorry to announce that Ivor Cutler died peacefully in
                    London last Friday. He'd been ill for a while: he had a stroke last
                    week, and passed away quickly, looked after by his family.

                    > His funeral will be for family and close friends; a memorial event
                    is being planned for later in the year.

                    > Poet, singer, writer, composer, humourist and painter, Mr Cutler,
                    as he liked to be known by those he didn't know him well, touched and
                    changed the lives of many people and elicited great affection from
                    his audiences and pupils. He will be remembered with great fondness.

                    > Biography and images available from Martin Pople at Serious
                    >
                    > 020 7324 1880 /martin@...

                  • John Frame
                    Message 9 of 24 , Mar 6, 2006
                      It is not at all sad that Ivor lived such a long, full and fruitful life.

                      Ivor was well aware that he was a unique human being - and that around the
                      world for the last several decades he was appreciated and cherished not only
                      for his uniqueness (or perhaps obliqueness) but for how generously he shared
                      his talents.

                      Since first seeing Magical Mystery Tour in 1970, and discovering his music
                      and books in the late 70's, Ivor Cutler has given me some of the most hearty
                      laughs, accompanied by many incisive philosophies. He was an outstandingly
                      creative artist.

                      I liked that Spike Milligan dedicated his book of children's poems "Unspun
                      Socks From A Chicken's Laundry" (Puffin 1981) to Ivor:
                      "Dedication. This book is dedicated to the unsung genius of Ivor Cutler, who
                      but for the public's total lack of appreciation would be a rich man."

                      Both Ivor and Spike have positively blessed the world with the legacy of
                      their artistry. May they rest in peace.

                      My sympathy and love goes to all of Ivor's family.

                      John

                      John Frame

                      Ph: 07 3350 1562 / 0409 501 561
                      Post: 82 Main Avenue, Wavell Heights 4012, QLD, Australia.

                      ----"There is no substitute for equality"----

                      > Sorry to bring this bad news to the group but I have received the sad news
                      > from Martin Pople that Ivor Cutler passed away on Friday, he will be sadly
                      > missed.
                      >
                      > John
                      >

                      > Ivor Cutler
                      > January 15 1923 - March 3 2006
                      >

                      > We are very sorry to announce that Ivor Cutler died peacefully in London
                      > last Friday. He'd been ill for a while: he had a stroke last week, and
                      > passed away quickly, looked after by his family.
                      >

                      > His funeral will be for family and close friends; a memorial event is
                      > being planned for later in the year.
                      >

                      > Poet, singer, writer, composer, humourist and painter, Mr Cutler, as he
                      > liked to be known by those he didn't know him well, touched and changed
                      > the lives of many people and elicited great affection from his audiences
                      > and pupils. He will be remembered with great fondness.
                      >

                      > Biography and images available from Martin Pople at Serious
                      >
                      > 020 7324 1880 /martin@...

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Richard Ross
                      Message 10 of 24 , Mar 7, 2006
                        Very sad but not unexpected news. The planet will never see his like again.

                        According to Sandy Burnett on Radio 3 just now, today's Guardian,
                        Independent and Times carry obits.

                        Richard

                        At 21:12 06/03/2006, you wrote:
                        >Sorry to bring this bad news to the group but I have received the sad news
                        >from Martin Pople that Ivor Cutler passed away on Friday, he will be sadly
                        >missed.
                      • Des O'Brien
                        Message 11 of 24 , Mar 7, 2006
                          Very sad news, thoughts as always with his friends and
                          family.

                          Seems that the cultural fabric I'd been so comforted
                          by is slowly being pulled away. Peter Cook, Spike
                          Milligan, John Peel...this last week we've lost Linda
                          Smith & Ivor.

                          http://mail.yahoo.com
                        • chris burke
                          Message 12 of 24 , Mar 7, 2006
                            Just listened to "A Real Man" the other night and was moved again (for
                            the thousandth time).
                            This is really a sad day.
                            I have to get that Ivor tribute going in New York now. Some friends
                            here did a nice one for Johnny Cash when he died. Some of the same
                            folks will want to be part of this.

                            If one can love someone they have never met, you can definitely say
                            that I loved Ivor. Damn.

                            /chris

                            On Mar 7, 2006, at 5:37 AM, ivor-list@yahoogroups.com wrote:

                            > We are very sorry to announce that Ivor Cutler died peacefully in
                            > London last Friday. He'd been ill for a while: he had a stroke last
                            > week, and passed away quickly, looked after by his family.
                            >
                            > His funeral will be for family and close friends; a memorial event
                            > is being planned for later in the year.
                            >
                            > Poet, singer, writer, composer, humourist and painter, Mr Cutler, as
                            > he liked to be known by those he didn't know him well, touched and
                            > changed the lives of many people and elicited great affection from
                            > his audiences and pupils. He will be remembered with great fondness.

                            This Spartan Life
                            A Talk Show in Game Space
                            http://www.thisspartanlife.com
                          • chris burke
                            Message 13 of 24 , Mar 7, 2006
                              *slumped in a stool and will not eat his yogurt laced with jam.
                            • runnerbeansaregods
                              Message 14 of 24 , Mar 7, 2006
                                Sad news indeed, I just saw it on the bbc news site, but thankyou for
                                all the smiles ivor. (-:

                                A true one off.
                              • peter_mxn
                                Message 15 of 24 , Mar 7, 2006
                                  Just heard the awful news, and two cups of tea have gone cold while
                                  reading your messages. Mr Cutler lit up my life, and will be missed
                                  so much. Condolences to his family and friends. Sleep peacefully,
                                  Ivor.

                                  --- In ivor-list@yahoogroups.com, chris burke <cburke@...> wrote:

                                  > Just listened to "A Real Man" the other night and was moved again
                                  (for
                                  > the thousandth time).
                                  > This is really a sad day.
                                  > I have to get that Ivor tribute going in New York now. Some
                                  friends
                                  > here did a nice one for Johnny Cash when he died. Some of the same
                                  > folks will want to be part of this.
                                  >
                                  > If one can love someone they have never met, you can definitely
                                  say
                                  > that I loved Ivor. Damn.
                                  >
                                  > /chris
                                  >
                                  > On Mar 7, 2006, at 5:37 AM, ivor-list@yahoogroups.com wrote:
                                  >
                                  > > We are very sorry to announce that Ivor Cutler died peacefully in
                                  > > London last Friday. He'd been ill for a while: he had a stroke
                                  last
                                  > > week, and passed away quickly, looked after by his family.
                                  > >
                                  > > His funeral will be for family and close friends; a memorial
                                  event
                                  > > is being planned for later in the year.
                                  > >
                                  > > Poet, singer, writer, composer, humourist and painter, Mr
                                  Cutler, as
                                  > > he liked to be known by those he didn't know him well, touched
                                  and
                                  > > changed the lives of many people and elicited great affection
                                  from
                                  > > his audiences and pupils. He will be remembered with great
                                  fondness.

                                  > This Spartan Life
                                  > A Talk Show in Game Space
                                  > http://www.thisspartanlife.com

                                • Ed
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Mar 7, 2006
                                    I've not the words to properly express how I feel, nor I suspect anything
                                    remarkably different to what the rest of the group feel, however I wanted to
                                    add my condolences and best wishes to his family.

                                    I was introduced to his work by my brother, and was lucky enough to have
                                    seen him perform, but not nearly often enough. I have been indelibly
                                    affected by his work, and thank him for it.

                                    RIP Mr. Cutler.

                                    Ed.

                                  • Doug Harvey
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Mar 7, 2006
                                      about being dead is that you need no longer have to say "I wish I were dead"
                                      The best thing about being alive is that you can still say "I wish I were
                                      dead".
                                      (Phyllis April King)

                                      <BR><BR>(213) 484-2194 <BR><BR>Doug Harvey's LA WEEKLY Writing Archives
                                      Online:
                                      <BR><BR>http://www.laweekly.com/index.php?option=com_search&Itemid=218&searchword=Doug+Harvey&submit=Search&searchphrase=exact&ordering=newest

                                      >From: "Ed" <oddgonkshine@...>
                                      >To: <ivor-list@yahoogroups.com>
                                      >Subject: Re: [ivor-list] Ivor Cutler 1923 to 2006 RIP
                                      >Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2006 23:09:20 -0000
                                      >
                                      >I've not the words to properly express how I feel, nor I suspect anything
                                      >remarkably different to what the rest of the group feel, however I wanted
                                      >add my condolences and best wishes to his family.
                                      >
                                      >I was introduced to his work by my brother, and was lucky enough to have
                                      >seen him perform, but not nearly often enough. I have been indelibly
                                      >affected by his work, and thank him for it.
                                      >
                                      >RIP Mr. Cutler.
                                      >
                                      >Ed.
                                    • dan_s
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Mar 9, 2006
                                        rip mr Cutler

                                        dan
                                        israel

                                        --- In ivor-list@yahoogroups.com, "John Gibbin" <john.gibbin@...> wrote:

                                        > Sorry to bring this bad news to the group but I have received the
                                        sad news from Martin Pople that Ivor Cutler passed away on Friday, he
                                        will be sadly missed.

                                        > John
                                        >

                                        > Ivor Cutler
                                        > January 15 1923 - March 3 2006
                                        >

                                        > We are very sorry to announce that Ivor Cutler died peacefully in
                                        London last Friday. He'd been ill for a while: he had a stroke last
                                        week, and passed away quickly, looked after by his family.

                                        > His funeral will be for family and close friends; a memorial event
                                        is being planned for later in the year.

                                        > Poet, singer, writer, composer, humourist and painter, Mr Cutler, as
                                        he liked to be known by those he didn't know him well, touched and
                                        changed the lives of many people and elicited great affection from his
                                        audiences and pupils. He will be remembered with great fondness.

                                        > Biography and images available from Martin Pople at Serious
                                        >
                                        > 020 7324 1880 /martin@...

                                      • fieldhippy

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Mar 9, 2006
                                            Folks, I just got the news not so long ago. I can't say that I wept overmuch, but that tear did fall. Since I first hearing of Ivor @ Either a Gong or Kevin Ayers gig, I have been captivated. Sad for your passing Ivor. You'll be missed. You brought light into my life.

                                            Love and see you in another incarnation.

                                            Colin

                                            So very, very sad. What a wonderful man! All of my heroes: Lennon, Harrison, Zappa, Cutler. All
                                            gone. So very, very sad.

                                            --- John Gibbin <john.gibbin@...> wrote:

                                            Sorry to bring this bad news to the group but I have received the sad news from Martin Pople
                                            that Ivor Cutler passed away on Friday, he will be sadly missed.

                                            John

                                            Flower united kingdom United kingdom flower delivery United kingdom phone card Call united kingdom Car hire united kingdom Car rental united kingdom

                                            ---------------------------------

                                          • C LUBY
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Mar 9, 2006
                                              Does anybody know if, when and where there will be a memorial service for Ivor.
                                              Thanks,
                                              Carole

                                              chris burke <cburke@...> wrote:
                                              Just listened to "A Real Man" the other night and was moved again (for
                                              the thousandth time).
                                              This is really a sad day.
                                              I have to get that Ivor tribute going in New York now. Some friends
                                              here did a nice one for Johnny Cash when he died. Some of the same
                                              folks will want to be part of this.

                                              If one can love someone they have never met, you can definitely say
                                              that I loved Ivor. Damn.

                                              /chris

                                              On Mar 7, 2006, at 5:37 AM, ivor-list@yahoogroups.com wrote:

                                              > We are very sorry to announce that Ivor Cutler died peacefully in
                                              > London last Friday. He'd been ill for a while: he had a stroke last
                                              > week, and passed away quickly, looked after by his family.
                                              >
                                              > His funeral will be for family and close friends; a memorial event
                                              > is being planned for later in the year.
                                              >
                                              > Poet, singer, writer, composer, humourist and painter, Mr Cutler, as
                                              > he liked to be known by those he didn't know him well, touched and
                                              > changed the lives of many people and elicited great affection from
                                              > his audiences and pupils. He will be remembered with great fondness.

                                              This Spartan Life
                                              A Talk Show in Game Space
                                              http://www.thisspartanlife.com

                                              Flower united kingdom United kingdom flower delivery United kingdom phone card Call united kingdom Car hire united kingdom Car rental united kingdom

                                            • fishanthropy
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Mar 10, 2006
                                                What a loss... Ivor gave us a great deal of himself, and I can't imagine anyone taking his
                                                place for a few lifetimes.

                                                Did anyone else notice the conspicuous LACK of mentions of Ivor in the aftermath of John
                                                Peel's death? By my count, he actually recorded more Peel sessions than The Fall...

                                                ----

                                                Chris, if you do decide to put together an Ivor tribute in New York, please let me know.

                                                (Not that I imagine there are a great many IC fans here, but I'm sure a handful could be
                                                coaxed out of the woodwork.)

                                                -Philip

                                                --- In ivor-list@yahoogroups.com, chris burke <cburke@...> wrote:

                                                > Just listened to "A Real Man" the other night and was moved again (for
                                                > the thousandth time).
                                                > This is really a sad day.
                                                > I have to get that Ivor tribute going in New York now. Some friends
                                                > here did a nice one for Johnny Cash when he died. Some of the same
                                                > folks will want to be part of this.
                                                >
                                                > If one can love someone they have never met, you can definitely say
                                                > that I loved Ivor. Damn.
                                                >
                                                > /chris
                                                >
                                                > On Mar 7, 2006, at 5:37 AM, ivor-list@yahoogroups.com wrote:
                                                >
                                                > > We are very sorry to announce that Ivor Cutler died peacefully in
                                                > > London last Friday. He'd been ill for a while: he had a stroke last
                                                > > week, and passed away quickly, looked after by his family.
                                                > >
                                                > > His funeral will be for family and close friends; a memorial event
                                                > > is being planned for later in the year.
                                                > >
                                                > > Poet, singer, writer, composer, humourist and painter, Mr Cutler, as
                                                > > he liked to be known by those he didn't know him well, touched and
                                                > > changed the lives of many people and elicited great affection from
                                                > > his audiences and pupils. He will be remembered with great fondness.
                                                > >
                                                > This Spartan Life
                                                > A Talk Show in Game Space
                                                > http://www.thisspartanlife.com

                                              • Stephen McBride
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Mar 10, 2006
                                                  New to the list.

                                                  This sad news made me dig up "A Wet Handle", and I
                                                  have been laughing uncontrollably since.

                                                  Rest in peace Ivor. The laughter you have left behind is an epitaph
                                                  far greater than any achievement of the so called greats of the world.

                                                  A marvellous man.

                                                  Stephen
                                                • Colin MacDonald
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Mar 10, 2006