[itit] Doing research about using reference material

  • Popert & Mossop
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 16, 2003
      Your request is rather strange: why are you considering research on a
      topic you say you don't understand?

      Finding and using reference material is a central part of a translator's
      work. This is because professional translators are very often translating
      texts on topics they don't know much about. For example, I recently
      translated a text from a forestry journal about predicting black spruce
      yields. In order to translate it, I had to learn something about the
      topic; otherwise I wouldn't understand what the author is getting at. If
      I don't understand, then I can't guarantee that what I write in my
      translation means the same thing as what the author said in the other
      language. Also, I used English-language forestry documents to find out
      the phraseologly and terminology foresters typically use to talk about
      this topic in English, so that my translation would be authentic.

      Brian Mossop
    • Birgitta Englund Dimitrova
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 26, 2003
        Dear colleagues,

        this is just to remind you of the upcoming deadline (March 31st) for
        submitting abstracts for papers, panels etc for the conference
        Critical Link in 2004. The topic of the conference is
        "Professionalisation of interpreting in the community", the venue is
        Stockholm, Sweden, and the dates are May 20th-23rd, 2004.

        Read more about the conference on http://www.tolk.su.se/ and submit
        your abstracts to CL2004@...

        Best wishes,
        Birgitta Englund Dimitrova

        Birgitta Englund Dimitrova
        Associate Professor
        Institute for Interpretation and Translation Studies, Stockholm University
        S-106 91 Stockholm
        Sweden
        Tel. + 46 8 16 14 83, Telefax. + 46 8 16 13 96
        The InstituteĀ“s homepage: http://www.tolk.su.se/