AW: [itit] Re: world-wide query..."...abilities and skills...expected...of translator?"

  • JohnDGraham@t-online.de
    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 20, 2001
      Just by the way,

      many years ago (somewhere around 1960) the school of languages in Monterrey
      produced a language test. It was intended for use to determine whether
      people had the capacity to learn a foreign language. Its target language
      was purely synthetic and the grammar rules were a bit of this and a bit of
      that. I remember that the top mark was 57 out of 57 (or was it 59?) and the
      pass mark was 22. At that time, I was at a language school and a colleague
      and I were asked to test it out and we turned out to be at genius level! I
      have no idea whether this test ever gor any further.

      KIndest regards

      John

      John D. Graham
      Am Flutgraben 22
      D-47198 Duisburg
      Germany
      Tel.: +49-2066-33318
      Fax.: +49-2066-370 999
      E-Mail : johndgraham@...

    • Vicky Biernacki
      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 20, 2001
        Hello everyone,

        I do not have any experience with on-line translation
        programs, but I have been a practicing translator for
        around six years, and am very interested in this
        option in order to get the necessary training in
        translation studies, theory, pedagogy and such. At
        present, I am exploring a remote-mode program based in
        the United States (not in translation, but
        individualized studies) offered by Goddard University.
        The reason I would choose this type of delivery, with
        which I would address Anthony Pym's question about
        e-learning arrangements, is that a) it offers
        flexibility in regards to scheduling and content. This
        is an important issue, since it is hard to find
        spare-time to spend it commuting to school b) the
        student profiles are similar, with all of us being
        working adults, sharing interests and life experiences
        alike. This specific program requires two weeks of
        residency at the school, where the off-campus students
        are required to take a series of workshops and classes
        with the on-campus students. The rest of the time is
        spent engaged in on-line chat discussions with other
        students grouped together according to similar
        interests, and conduct research in order to complete a
        portfolio. Students are expected to send five packages
        of research in the course of a semester, and their
        respective faculty advisor will revise and offer
        further suggestions. Another reason to enroll in an
        on-line program, rather than a traditional one, is
        money. At the University of Wisconsin, for instance,
        an on-site 30-credit MA program costs around $11,000.
        I have the feeling that for a lower price I could
        enroll in a similar program on-line from a college in,
        say, Spain or Latin America. Certainly, good quality
        in a program is the main consideration, and this leads
        me to the reasons why I am still hesitant about
        enrolling in a program on-line. I believe that the
        on-line academic community needs to overcome the fears
        of the students. In the United States at least, and
        this is probably also true in Chile, remote-mode
        education is seen as an inferior alternative to the
        traditional delivery mode. True, students are eager to
        take courses on-line, but in the work field a diploma
        obtained entirely from a traditional school in an
        on-site program will be regarded as more valuable than
        one obtained through remote-mode. Another concern is
        that the school offering remote-mode programs might
        try to enroll as many candidates as possible, and
        overload teachers, leaving them no time for a more
        individualized relationship with the student, which is
        supposed to be one of the advantages of the on-line
        system. This is probably the case in a traditional
        delivery setting (overworked teachers) anyhow, but at
        least there is the limitation of physical space. The
        virtual classrooms has no boundaries, and this fact
        could be tempting for some administrators..

        Best regards,

        Vicky

        http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info1