BITRA - An on-line Bibliography of Interpreting and Translation

  • Javier Franco Aixelá
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 5, 2001
      Dear friends,
      At the University of Alicante, we have created an on-line bibliography
      of our field which might be of interest to some of you.
      BITRA
      (Bibliography of Interpreting and Translation of Alicante)
      http://www.ua.es/dfing/tra_int/bitra_en.htm
      One of the most serious problems when doing research or gathering
      information on any theoretical or practical aspect of interpreting and
      translation is gaining access to reliable bibliographical information
      without wasting too much time. BITRA tries to solve this problem.
      BITRA is an on-line international database assembled by the English
      Studies Department of the University of Alicante (Spain) which attempts
      to bring together all the literature published on interpreting and
      translation. In keeping with its presence in the Internet, BITRA is a
      collective and interactive effort which needs the collaboration of the
      academic and professional world of translation and interpreting. The
      main idea is to provide an ever-growing tool that allows fast,
      comprehensive and accurate bibliographical searching in our field. The
      final aim is, obviously, to make research, practice and learning in
      interpreting and translation easier.
      This site already (September, 2001) comprises about 5,500 documents,
      with versions in English, Spanish, and Catalan.
      A complete BITRA document covers the following fields:
      SUBJECT: / AUTHOR: / YEAR: / TITLE: / PLACE: / PUBLISHER: / PAGES: /
      LANGUAGE:
      / TYPE: / UNIV. ALICANTE: / CONTENTS: / ABSTRACT: / COMMENTS:

      You can search in all of them simultaneously, in any of them
      separately, or combine part of them through the logical operators AND,
      OR, NOT. This allows an enormous flexibility in searching, which should
      cover the needs of anyone interested in any aspect of interpreting or
      translation.
      You may consult a complete set of instructions in the site; so we will
      focus here on a few significant issues:
      The field SUBJECT describes what the document is about. This
      description is performed through keywords (such as "poetry", "medicine",
      "assessment", "equivalence", "humour", "profession", "simultaneous",
      etc.), which are classified within a set of macrocategories: THEORY,
      RESEARCH, PROBLEM, GENRE, HISTORY, DOCUMENTATION, MACHINE, TEACHING,
      INTERPRETING, PROFESSION. You may access the complete list,
      subcategories included, in BITRA.
      When the TITLE is not in English, it is translated into this language.
      CONTENTS is especially useful, as it reproduces in some detail the
      structure and table of contents of the books.
      ABSTRACT is an especially important field because it increases the
      information quality of BITRA. It should let users know with a sufficient
      degree of reliability whether a given document will be really helpful.
      Right now we have abstracts for about 10 per cent of the documents.
      BITRA will be much more useful if authors, readers or publishers
      contribute their own abstracts. Any contributions or comments will
      therefore be most welcome and explicitly acknowledged, and there is a
      contribution form in the site.
      COMMENTS includes information like the ISBN or other editions of the
      same text. We also include here the reference to the complete book when
      the document is a chapter.
      By way of example, apart from looking up the texts of a given author,
      publisher or journal, searching in BITRA allows you to know the number
      of published textbooks (more than 125 in our database), or reduce this
      search to those written in English (ca. 50), or to those which deal with
      teaching in technical fields (ca. 25), or restrict your search to the
      texts on the teaching of interpreting (ca. 225), or only to complete
      books which deal with this issue (ca. 50). You can also look up
      information, for example, on Shakespeare (ca. 100 documents), or
      restrict it to Shakespeare and drama (ca. 75) or to Shakespeare and
      poetry (ca. 20) or to French drama (ca. 35), or to legal translation and
      interpreting (ca. 100), or only to legal interpreting (ca. 40). You may
      also do historical and regional searching, and obtain information on
      Middle Ages and translation (ca. 120) or on Middle Ages and translation
      in Spain (ca. 30), or on translation and interpreting in China (ca. 80),
      or in Germany (ca. 180), or on professional issues in the United States
      (ca. 30), etc.
      Any comments or queries should be addressed to: Javier.Franco@...