Re: [EST-training] science texts

  • Anthony Pym
    Message 1 of 1 , May 23 2:33 AM
      Brian's question should not go unanswered.

      What I do to teach the translation of scientific texts (at postgraduate
      level):

      1. Teach students how to find and use parallel texts, information and
      terminology on the web. (This has changed everything in the past ten years...)
      2. Make them work in groups of three to five on fairly substantial
      projects, dividing up the tasks (project manager, terminologist, someone to
      locate and contact experts)
      3. Encourage them to contact experts (most students are afraid of
      telephones). This usually means going into some other department of my
      university.
      4. Pay experts to correct and evaluate the results.
      5. Not insist that translators (or translation teachers!) be experts in
      specific scientific fields.

      A note on directionality:
      I used to teach Spanish speakers how to translate into English, and then I
      would tell them never to do it professionally, since their English was not
      good enough. I no longer give this sad piece of advice. If students know
      how to use parallel texts found on the web, they can quite quickly grasp
      the terms and discourse conventions of specific fields, and their L2 output
      can attain quite high levels of quality. All we have to do is encourage the
      astute use of plagiarism (for a change).

      Best

      Anthony Pym
      Universitat Rovira i Virgili
      Plaça Imperial Tàrraco, 1