Position as Lecturer in Translation Studies (Chinese), Leicester

  • Anthony
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 24, 2012
      Lecturer in Translation Studies (Chinese)
      College of Arts, Humanities and Law
      School of Modern Languages
      Salary Grade 8 - £35, 938 to £44, 166 per annum
      Open Ended Contract
      Ref: AHL00171
      At Leicester we're going places. Ranked in the top 20 universities in Britain our aim is to climb further. A commitment to high quality fused with an inclusive academic culture is our hallmark and led the Times Higher Education to describe us as "elite without being elitist".
      The School of Modern Languages wishes to appoint a Lecturer in Translation Studies (Chinese) who can help develop the School's programmes in Translation and Interpreting Studies at Postgraduate and Undergraduate levels, and support the work of its dynamic new Research Centre for Translation and Interpreting Studies.
      The successful applicant will have an established record of research and publication, or show outstanding research potential. Experience in Knowledge Transfer and Enterprise will be an advantage
      The University
      There's never been a more exciting time to join us. At the University of Leicester we are enjoying research success on a world stage and gathering the awards and plaudits to match.
      A judge in a recent awards ceremony described Leicester as "elite without being elitist". We are proud to be elite. But we are at least as proud to be an inclusive and progressive university. This commitment to high quality, an inclusive academic culture and belief in the synergy of teaching and research are our hallmarks. We believe that teaching is inspirational when delivered by passionate scholars engaged in world-changing research that is delivered in an academic community that includes postgraduate as well as undergraduate students.
      Our approach to research yields great rewards. Our research impact, measured by citations per academic, is the sixth highest in the UK. Our success in the 2008 Research Assessment Exercise saw Quality Related research income rise by 18% placing us firmly amongst Britain's top 20 research universities by this measure. The RAE also revealed that Leicester is home to Britain's top-rated research department – Museum Studies – which has the highest concentration of world class research of any department of any discipline in the UK.
      For a University that believes teaching and research are synergistic, it is pleasing that the National Student Survey reveals the quality of our teaching is amongst the highest in the country. Since the launch of the survey in 2006, Leicester has consistently featured amongst the top-10 universities in England for student satisfaction. The Sunday Times recently described Leicester as "top... amongst mainstream multi-faculty universities for student satisfaction".
      Currently a University of 23,000 students, with a turnover of £260m and 3,800 colleagues, our future is bright. Our Strategic Vision describes our plans to invest a billion pounds in our estate as we transform our campus. Already consistently ranked in the top-20 universities in Britain, by 2015 we aim to rise further to become top-10.
      Leicester is the most inclusive of Britain's top-20 universities with the greatest proportions of students from under-represented groups.
      As a group of talented individuals we are more diverse than ever and stronger for it. At Leicester we are proud of our distinct approach, our achievements and our ambitious plans. If you share our approach join us.
      College of Arts, Humanities and Law
      The College greatly values the relationship between high-quality teaching and cutting edge research. While the highlight is currently Museum Studies, Britain's top-rated research department, the most recent Research Assessment Exercise revealed that the College contains a significant proportion of the University's strongest-performing researchers and departments, across the spectrum from traditional individual scholarship to inter-disciplinary groupings which win large project grants. The College is home to a mix of internationally famous and emerging research centres, including Translation and Interpreting Studies, Medical Humanities, Local History, Urban History, American Studies, Historical Archaeology, European Law and Integration, and the School of English's Victorian Studies and Medieval Research Centres.
      We place students at the centre of all that we do, and, accordingly, it is no surprise that departments rank highly in the National Student Survey. Academic and administrative colleagues take great pride in the quality of our teaching and learning and in the support that we give to our students, who come from a wide range of countries. Undergraduate and postgraduate students are taught by research-intensive academic staff (on campus-based and distance-learning degree programmes), to sharpen critical and interpretive skills, with an emphasis on the analysis of texts and human artefacts viewed in their social, cultural and historical contexts.
      Our aims are:
      • To make our students employable (whether they graduate in vocational or non-vocational subjects), as well as confident in their abilities to shape and, where necessary, criticise culture and society in different spheres.
      • To make our research relevant to society, directly where we can, but always in the more important ways that cannot be immediately measured and categorised.
      School of Modern Languages
      The School of Modern Languages is situated within the College of Arts, Humanities and Law. It has two professors, in Italian and in Translation Studies, and twenty three further members of staff, including senior lecturers, lecturers, and teaching fellows, who conduct teaching and research in French, German, Italian, Spanish and Translation Studies. The Head of School is supported by a Director of Studies of each of these sections. The School is home to the language teaching unit, Languages@Leicester, that offers teaching across and beyond the University in thirteen languages, and to the Research Centre for Translation and Interpreting Studies (RTISt), founded in December 2010.
      There are seven PhD students in the Centre, and seven members of staff closely associated with it, with considerable interest in translation in other departments and schools in the University. Professor Susan Bassnett is a Visiting Professor in RTISt.
      The Centre hosts the AHRC funded network project "Key Cultural Texts in Translation" (2012-2014), which will bring together UK and international scholars across the humanities and social sciences for a series of exploratory meetings; there will be a conference in late 2013 or early 2014. The Centre will aim to attract further substantial research funding, and the new member of staff will be expected to write and co-write applications to the funding bodies and to take an active part in research student supervision.
      An undergraduate degree with Translation Studies is planned for the near future to complement the school's wide ranging undergraduate degree programme offer in languages and in combinations with English, Management, Politics, History of Art and Film Studies. There are postgraduate degree programmes in Translation Studies and in Film and Film Cultures (jointly with the Department of History of Art and Film). An MA in Interpreting is under consideration.
      All full-time permanent members of the academic staff are active in research and publication. At present there are particular clusters of research interest in: Translation and interpreting studies; Film, theatre and visual culture; Contemporary cultural and literary studies; Spatial practices and diasporas; Identity, gender and politics. There are Research Seminars in Languages and in Translation and Interpreting Studies (the latter hosted by RTISt), which are open to both staff and students.
      The School has done particularly well in recent National Student Surveys. In 2011, French was rated 1st and Italian and Spanish 3rd nationally. The recent Guardian Good University Guide placed the School in 5th position in the country. We place considerable emphasis on friendly and caring student support in a compact and closely integrated School.
      A suite of recently refurbished language laboratories and a self-access language learning centre are available, and TRADOS and subtitling software can be accessed on dedicated computers.
      Your Role
      The post holder will be responsible to the Head of the School of Modern Languages and work closely with the Professor of Translation Studies. He or she will undertake research, teaching, administration and other activities supporting the work of the School and the Research Centre for Translation and Interpreting Studies, developing and enhancing their reputation, both internal and external to the University.
      Principal Accountabilities
      Research
      • To engage in research and publication in Translation Studies, and to facilitate, through that research, the development of new insights in the discipline and the emergence of a new and fuller understanding of it.
      • To maintain a profile consistent with the requirements of relevant research assessment measures.
      • To publish monographs, chapters and articles in peer-reviewed journals.
      • To secure external research funding.
      • To make available to the School and University information required by them to monitor the staff member's research and enterprise record.
      • To present papers and seminar papers at national and international venues.
      • To undertake internal and external commitments that reflect well upon and enhance the reputation of the School, subject to the agreement of the Head of School and the University as appropriate.
      Teaching
      • To make a substantial contribution to the teaching and supervision of students on the MA in Translation Studies and on other programmes in Translation and Interpreting Studies that may be developed.
      • To make a substantial contribution to the marking of work produced by students on the MA in Translation Studies and on other programmes in Translation and Interpreting Studies that may be developed.
      • To supervise PhD students in Translation and Interpreting Studies.
      • To be available to meet and advise students at agreed times outside of the teaching schedule.
      • To make a substantial contribution to the academically related administration of the MA in Translation Studies and other programmes in Translation and Interpreting Studies that may be developed.
      Qualifications, Knowledge and Experience
      Essential
      • A first degree at upper second class level or above (or equivalent).*
      • A completed Ph.D. (or a firm viva date) or equivalent in an aspect of or directly related to Translation Studies.*
      Desirable
      • Experience of translating or interpreting for publication or performance or for client use.
      Skills, Abilities and Competencies
      Essential
      • Fluency in written and spoken English and Chinese.*
      • Evidence of outstanding research potential.*
      • Evidence of ability to generate external funding (through research grants, contracts and other sources) to support research programmes in Translation Studies.
      • Evidence of ability to carry out the teaching, research, administration and development work as detailed in the job outline.*
      • Evidence of ability to communicate clearly and effectively with undergraduate and postgraduate students.*
      • Ability to attract and successfully supervise postgraduate research students.*

      Desirable
      • A proven record of research in Translation Studies of international significance, including publication in peer-reviewed Translation Studies and related journals or in authored book form. *
      • A record of external funding for Translation Studies research and related activities.
      • Evidence of ability to carry out administrative duties within the Department, School and College as required by the Head of School and the Director of Translation Studies.
      • Experience of Knowledge Exchange and other externally focused Translation Studies related activity.
      (* Criteria to be used in shortlisting candidates for interview)
      Informal Enquiries
      Informal enquiries are welcome and should be made to Professor Kirsten Malmkjær on km240le.ac.uk.
      Applications
      For further information and to apply on-line, please visit our website: www.le.ac.uk/joinus
      ACADEMIC ONLY- We use a web based, e-recruitment system, which allows you to apply on-line. Please upload a copy of your CV and a covering letter including the names and addresses of three referees. One of your referees should be your current or most recent employer.
      The closing date for this post is midnight on Thursday 22 March 2012.
      We anticipate that interviews will take place on Friday 11 May 2012.
      Candidates short-listed for interview will be contacted by the University. If you do not receive a communication from the University within 4 weeks of the closing date, please assume that your application has been unsuccessful.